Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Svbony vs Orion guide scope

Hi,

Both of these models do what I want/need (I've checked regarding my OTA's focal length, pixel size, camera resolution etc):

The Orion is highly regarded - but the Svbony is 33% cheaper!

Can anyone give me a good reason to go for the Orion over the Svbony? Does anyone have experience with both?

Thanks, Brendan

2 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

The purpose of a finder scope is to align the telescope with the finder to make it easier to fix on the object you want, in IMHO the Svbony should be fine.

These are for guiding, not finding.,

Orion used to have a very generous return policy that is now down to 30 days for any reason in new condition with no restocking fees.  They are also based out of California.  Both of these reasons and others have contributed to their higher costs.

As for the products, the Orion is basically a retasked GSO 50mm finder scope.  It still focuses by the objective end.  The SvBony is basically the 50mm version of Orion's 60mm Multi-Use Guide Scope with Helical Focuser which itself appears to be the same as this ebay offering.  If you want a helical focuser at 50mm from Orion, you would want their Deluxe Mini 50mm Guide Scope with Helical Focuser which appears to be GSO made.  It appears to focus at both ends.

It comes down to weight, features, and whether you want to buy Taiwanese (GSO) or Chinese (SvBony) made sold by a US or Chinese retailer.  It's been rumored that GSO sources some of their components from Chinese factories, so there is that as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BrendanC said:

Hi,

Both of these models do what I want/need (I've checked regarding my OTA's focal length, pixel size, camera resolution etc):

The Orion is highly regarded - but the Svbony is 33% cheaper!

Can anyone give me a good reason to go for the Orion over the Svbony? Does anyone have experience with both?

Thanks, Brendan

I doubt that many own both but you are in luck as I do, the Orion 50mm guides my Esprit 100 in an observatory, I would say its optics are better and it more ridgid to prevent flexture so long as you have a good quality finder shoe. Sure the SV has a better focuser, but to be honest I focused the Orion 50mm once and have never touched that focus in about 2 years....

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

Interesting. That was kind of my take on this all too, before I came across the Svbony. The Orion is more likely to work, focuser not needed, less flexure too. BUT it's more expensive!

Having said which: did the Svbony actually do the job for you? Or, when you mention flexure, did you actually have a problem with that?

Edited by BrendanC

1 hour ago, BrendanC said:

Interesting. That was kind of my take on this all too, before I came across the Svbony. The Orion is more likely to work, focuser not needed, less flexure too. BUT it's more expensive!

Having said which: did the Svbony actually do the job for you? Or, when you mention flexure, did you actually have a problem with that?

I would think it will depend on your focal length.

Adam

@AdamJ Focal length would be 590mm with coma corrector, 650 without (Skywatcher 130PDS). I would be using a ZWO ASI120MC for the guide camera (not the mono, I know mono is better for guiding but I want to use it for planetary imaging as well), and for DSOs I would be using my modded EOS1000D.

I'm sure  they will both work for what I need, but like @Louis DI'm very interested in the flexure that you mention. If that's an issue with the Svbony, I'll go with the Orion. 

Edited by BrendanC