Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's the modern equivalent of the Canon EOS1000D?

BrendanC

I need to sort out my insurance, so I need to know what would be the modern equivalent of my EOS1000D, given that it's no longer in production. I've tried looking but really cannot find a definitive answer. Any suggestions? 

Already have, but not really getting anywhere. Different sites flatly contradict each other. There must be an equivalent in their modern day line up, much as there must be a modern day equivalent of, say, Tyrannosaurus Rex or sabre-toothed tigers or Beethoven or something. 

Canon has a sort of distinction between number of digits in camera model

XXXX - four digit models like 1000, 1100, 2000, etc are "beginner" models - or rather the least feature rich and cheapest.

XXX - like 600, 650, 700, 750 is next line - a bit more advanced

XX - is already serious line

X is professional / large sensor / very expensive

This is for EOS DSLR.

In spirit, successor for 1000 line might not be XXXX member.

How about M100 / M200 mirrorless models as good alternative with price comparison?

In fact M200 looks rather interesting as it allows for remote wifi operation. It is light weight, it is APS-C sensor size - rather modern sensor with good specs.

• Like 1

Thanks, very interesting, I didn't realise that about their numbering system.

I'm not on the lookout for a new camera however, just looking to insure my current rig, and wanted to get an idea of what how to cost the camera under the 'new for old' policy.

• 1 month later...

Why isn't this being done based on the price you paid for it? Right now is a really bad time to be buying a canon camera as it has greatly increased it's prices at the start of the pandemic I bought a 250d for £549.99 from Canon's website the same model is selling for £829.99! Can be found on Amazon for £629.00 but still.

Edited by PlankWithANailIn

To replace your 1000D the current model would be the 2000D (The 4000D really counts as a "special" as it is a stripped down  version to achieve a low price point).  Currently the 200D is £325 on "camerapricebuster" but can be found slightly cheaper from a couple of suppliers listed on that site but without prices (you will see what I mean if you go to the site).