NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

USB Hub on HEQ5

smr

Thanks. I'm not sure how easy it would be to fit the hub to the scope. Some more pics... where would you think is best to place the hub?

20200818_162304.thumb.jpg.c4e9570dc32e53c675cd203ac64553d8.jpg20200818_162318.thumb.jpg.271fc67de57b3ac64bcc6d239976b672.jpg

Edited by smr

Personally I think velcroing it, or some other method of attachment, to where you suggest is not a bad idea.

@MarkAR is spot on saying the fewer cables dangling is best, and so the obvious answer is to fix it somehow to the scope rig itself then you only have one USB cable to loop round back to the computer.

Well yes that is true to an extent, but, I guess you would always have at least 2 USB cables in the loop to the scope as if mounted on scope then there would be the usb from the mount..

Also my personal preference, is not to run the main imaging camera through the hub but to use a totally separate lead right back to the computer, I just think running camera usb leads via hubs is asking for trouble, but that might just be me. But depends how many spare USB ports you have on computer.

Then it is down to how many other usb leads do you need to run back from the scope itself, Guide camera for sure but do you intend to fit a focuser or other items requiring a USB ?

If you have several items on scope that require a usb cable then yes mount it on the scope however you can.

If not then where you suggest is as good as any, especially if you have a power lead to run to it, as the cables would be the same either way (either guide camera to hub if where you suggest, or mount to hub if on scope).

Steve

• Like 1

There are several places that work well on the HEQ5 and you have chosen the right place. All my cabling is clear of any moving parts. I've shortened the dew cables apart from the one plugged into port 4 which I've not done yet. I've soldered on new gold plated plugs onto the ones I've cut short.

Here are two views of mine. All stuck on with the ultra heavy duty Velcro. Lesser stuff will not work long term. There is a 4 port USB velcroed this side.

IMG_0520.thumb.JPEG.ab66bf6f9a1631464ae74494cd5fc07d.JPEG

And another 4 port USB3 velcroed the other side as below.

IMG_0519.thumb.JPEG.cc7243d49eece3e9e78c881f543f701c.JPEG

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions guys. There's a reason why my Scope has the dovetails in that way, I can't remember exactly why now, it might be how I had to do it to fit the guidescope or balance or something like that. There's no problem with the empty USB ports facing upwards is there  ? Just thinking in terms of dew etc. 

I forgot to say. The reason I have 2 USB hubs is the main ZWO camera didn't seem to like to play with other USB cameras on the same bus so I have a USB3 cable running from the mount carrying the main camera signal and another USB cable carrying the devices on the other bus.

3 minutes ago, smr said:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. There's a reason why my Scope has the dovetails in that way, I can't remember exactly why now, it might be how I had to do it to fit the guidescope or balance or something like that. There's no problem with the empty USB ports facing upwards is there  ? Just thinking in terms of dew etc. 

Never had a problem with water ingress into my upwards facing usb ports.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, smr said:

The power cord for the USB Hub

Does it need power? I found it works more reliably without. But then again, I only have imaging camera and mount connected.

If anything, I'd run a separate lead to the guide camera; one frame every 2 seconds as opposed to one frame every 300 seconds.

Just my €0.02.

Cheers

• Like 1

A powered hub should be able to work with at least 4 devices (depending on current draw) plugged in before you actually need to connect it to a power supply. A PC USB port can supply upto 500mA and I've been able to use  2-3 (EQDIR, guidescope) of 7 ports on my hub without needing to connect the PSU.

• Like 1

I would try without power first. If that doesn't work you can get an extension lead for the lead and should be fine just don't go too long otherwise the voltage drop might cause some issues but you probably only want another 1M.

Also put a little masking tape around where the extension socket joins the plug, just one less thing then that can come loose.

5.5 x 2.1mm DC Power Plug to Socket CCTV Extension Lead Cable 1m

Just check the pin is 2.1 mm, most are but I suppose it could be 2.5 mm so you would have to search for those instead (same but 5.5 x 2.5)

Steve

EDIT: I guess the 1M extension may just be enough to loop round to the tripod leg which would be a convenient place to tie wrap it and you can then plug and unplug the actual power supply in to that each time (assuming it is not a permanent setup).

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 1

The Lync Astro dew controller has 12v outlets on it specifically to power mounts, powered USB hubs etc. So mains power does not need to be anywhere near the telescope. The trouble with low voltage stuff like 12v wall warts is when you start to put longer thin cables on them the voltage starts to drop. Not a major issue but something to bare in mind.

The large thick cable that runs to the dew controller has negligible voltage drop over 5 metres due to its cross-sectional area. So running a short cable from the dew controller 12v outlet to a hub is easy to do.

Alternatives are something like the Pegasus Power box which are expensive but work the same way. Astrophotography is expensive as has been said many times before!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Does it need power? I found it works more reliably without. But then again, I only have imaging camera and mount connected.

If anything, I'd run a separate lead to the guide camera; one frame every 2 seconds as opposed to one frame every 300 seconds.

Just my €0.02.

Cheers

Plug the guidecam straight into the laptop instead of through the hub you mean? 

Seems to work without power if I plug my guidecam straight into the laptop, otherwise its not generating enough power off without the power lead, so I may as well plug my guidecam into the laptop anyway.