NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Setting up mount and computer for guiding, software etc.

2 minutes ago, Rustang said:

Yeah changed to 5000 So try the manual controls with the mount turned on, no sidereal!? If that's the case then no sounds heard that way either!

yes.

Well I am stumped now it worked fine on mine. All I can think is to try another ST-4 cable. Unlikely it has failed but it is possible.

Okay as it is now - dont change anything  Can you take some screen shots of anything you can on HD2 and also a couple of pictures of your setup showing where the cables are going.

Steve

I am sure it is all working. I think that the problem is these movements are so small and the noise is so quiet you are probably not detecting it.

If you are determined to prove it is working all I can suggest is you take off the side panel covering the motors and observe the motors moving.

image.png.15989c0722cd40e644c4f3bb73b0bed5.png

Just to give you an example this is my Ra motor moving in sidereal tracking mode and it takes around 15 seconds to do one revolution. Watch the arrow I have marked on the end of the Ra motor.

Yours may look slightly different with gears instead of the belt and large timer pulley but the motors will be the same.

Notice in this video how long it takes for 1/4 revolution of Ra motor when in sidereal tracking mode (following earths rotation).

Now when you use the manual guiding whilst in sidereal rate pressing east just speeds up that rotation by 50% and pressing west slows it down 50% so very difficult to detect. And notice the for North hemisphere it moves anti clockwise.

When not in sidereal rate both motors will be stationary. Whilst like that pressing east moves the Ra motor ever so slightly again anticlockwise and what may sound odd is that pressing west also moves it in the same direction anticlockwise. That may sound odd but really this manual guiding can only be done when the mount is already tracking in sidereal mode so overall the Ra motor would still go in same direction (in this case anticlockwise) but would go faster when guiding east and slower when guiding west.

Pressing north or south does move the dec motor but very small amounts. North I had to press it 20 times (waiting 5 seconds in between each ress to allow movement to stop) to make motor turn 1/4 turn clockwise and same with south but it went anticlockwise.

If I disconnect the ST-4 cable then no movement of motors but also no faults.

image.thumb.png.391b2154a57cc3758a946a6d94023c2b.png

Oh forgot to add, to check North South East and west make sure sidereal rate is off so both motors stationary.

Had to press east 5 times (again wait at least 5 seconds between each ress) to move Ra motor 1/4 turn anticlockwise.

Had to press West 8 times to move Ra motor 1/4 turn again anticlockwise.

Had to press North 20 times to move Dec motor 1/4 clockwise.

Had to press south 20 times to move Dec motor 1/4 turn anticlockwise.

Steve

Mount on and connected to PHD2, cover off, sidereal OFF, manual controls pressed, wait 5 secs and continued, did this said amount of times, sadly no movement still ☹️, I'm off to buy badminton racket!

Edited by Rustang

Yeah moves fine in sidereal. I some how managed to sort out eqascom and can move the mount via that but it appears only in the Dec! 🤔 A new ST4 is on its way so let's start a process of elimination! I don't know how to tell if it's the camera but if it is I'm not going to be happy as I only recently brought that off here!!! 

I was getting fed up with the ST4 way even though I still really won't to do it that way to start with. My EqDir cable seems to be out of date, something to with the USB software or something says the computer, went out of date in 2012!!!!?, the lead time on a new one is crazy from FLO and it's another £35 I don't really want to spend. I followed a guide online of going into the bottom of the handset but putting handset into PC mode. I've put in the mount details etc and appear to have set up EQASCOM, I can actually do something!! I can move the mount that way in DEC, I can see it move but when I try in RA it doesn't move something else wrong there as well. 

Oh well I had sort of accumed in the last posts I sent you still only had the handset connected.

But not sure that actually matters, I have tried with the EQDir cable, with the handset and even without anything plugged in (no handset - socket left bare) and in all three instances the manual guiding works as described in previous posts. The only way I can stop it working is if I unplug the ST-4 cable.

So I am really now at a loss where to go, but if you want to use the ST-4 cable then I would go back to using the handset as it was, no need to do anything else as yet.

Go back to handset  make sure you can move it in Ra and Dec, whilst cover is off check when in sidereal rate it is the Ra motor that moves in anticlockwise direction then at least all is working there and only guidong not working.

Steve

Sorry my bad, I wasn't clear. While using the ST4 I was only using the handset, so just the handset and ST4. It was only once I somehow set up EQASOM did I then for just an hour or so today did plug in the different cable into the handset and put in PC mode to try that way. Everything you tried I followed exactly from what I can see, again just the handset, the ST4 and PHD2 so yes it's confusing to actually know what's wrong. I'm based in Hertfordshire and it would be awesome if someone was local to help but Steve you have been awesome mate and couldn't appreciate your time enough, if I was local to you I would buy you a pint or two 👍

Edited by Rustang
  • Thanks 1

It's incredibly frustrating to not know what is at fault and I'm concerned I'm not going to figure it out, but I will try the new ST4 cable tomorrow. The fact it doesn't move in RA in EQASCOM is also strange as it moves in DEC. Worse case I will stick to 2min subs and bin off the auto guiding as I'm comfortable with that but I would also really like to improve my images. I'm also not looking forward to the possibility of still having issues if this ever got sorted. This has been such a headache and I've not even begun the nights of possible issues, from what I've been reading this is very likely and I honestly don't think I've got the patience after this but I will try and remain positive. 

Edited by Rustang

7 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I have done a bit of a search and whilst not a common problem other have had this issue and major causes seems to be the st-4 cable  or unfortunately the circuit board in the mount.

Steve

Please don't be the mount, that's me done if it is! 😭 

What did you put in the search bar so I can try and look through the same info!? 

Edited by Rustang

I just searched for "PHD2 ST-4 cable not working".

But I had a think last night and for sure your firmware in the mount will be different to mine. My mount is well old and uses a much simpler handset than yours so the firmware has to be different.

What the above tests were for were to see if your mount would act the same as mine but we are doing something that you would never do in the real world, that is using the manual guide buttons in PHD2 without the mount tracking. (just so you can detect movement in the Ra motor when using the manual guide buttons). We would never do that because without the mount tracking in the first place the star would disappear out of view pretty quickly on the PHD2 screen and so pressing any of the manual guide buttons would do nothing to keep the star in view.

So maybe the firmware in your mount only enables the manual guiding when the mount is in sidereal tracking mode, which makes it very difficult to tell whether the east and west buttons are working because they only speed the rotation up or slow it down but if you press the north button say 20 times (wait at least 5 seconds in between presses) then you should see the dec motor move and same with south.

If you then put the guiderate up to 1 (should be 0.5 now) or higher if it will then you might see the Ra motor speed up when east is pressed and it should actually stop for 5 seconds when west is pressed. I will try that later.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang

Srry if this complicates things for you, I have replaced my mount to pc cable with a wireless Bluetooth module ,https://www.dewcontrol.com/Wireless_/cat3099126_2678521.aspx.  it comes in 2 parts, one piece replaces the hand controller and cable, it plugs directly into the mount, the other dongle just plugs into a USB on the laptop, works like a dream. I then use eqmod and stellarium for targets. My guide cam connects directly to laptop and runs through phd2. This works really well and means one less cable to worry about. Don't give up, you will get it sorted, check all settings in the software you are using.

I've had a quick go, did what you said Steve and still no movement what so ever, however having ago in EQASCOM today I can move all directions now by using the manual controls on that interface so that's somehow working!! When the new ST4 cable arrives I will try that later.