While light solar scope

@JeremyS if you are reading this you had better sit down.

I have just ordered one of these as part of my back to basics kit for solar white light observing with a Herschel wedge.  Its classic 80mm F15 Fraunhofer design is fully in keeping with the basics ethos.

1025386019_Solarscope.png.7fa547cbc473042e77eaba1a2667e102.png

Regards Andrew

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I find the ScopeTech 80mm f/15 makes an excellent white light solar scope with a Herschel wedge. In focus is limted though and not all eyepieces will come to focus with the wedge.. The rear of the dawtube has the standard vixen 36.4mm thread on it so easy to fit a compression type fitting instead of the single screw type. Also easy to fit a standard Synta type finder shoe if you want to.

2EF6538D-957E-438B-8CFE-D71351FB10A7.jpeg

916A82F9-CA5F-4E7B-A76C-F13B70054559.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, andrew s said:

@JeremyS if you are reading this you had better sit down.

I have just ordered one of these as part of my back to basics kit for solar while light observing with a Herschel wedge.  Its classic 80mm F15 Fraunhofer design is fully in keeping with the basics ethos.

1025386019_Solarscope.png.7fa547cbc473042e77eaba1a2667e102.png

Regards Andrew

Well fortunately I was sitting down, Andrew. Even better I was reclinIng on the sofa after driving back from a cracking day on Anglesey.

However, I still don’t believe it. I think it’s a windup after my jibe about those optics journals which show refractors are better than reflectors. Although maybe you did conclude this hence your purchase 🤔

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Well fortunately I was sitting down, Andrew. Even better I was reclinIng on the sofa after driving back from a cracking day on Anglesey.

However, I still don’t believe it. I think it’s a windup after my jibe about those optics journals which show refractors are better than reflectors. Although maybe you did conclude this hence your purchase 🤔

Not a windup and no I have not changed my mind. I would have preferred an off axis Gergorian (see Big Bear solar telescope as an example). However, that would have been at least one if not two orders of magnitude more expensive. 

I could use the Mewlon but I have always wanted to try a Herschel wedge which led, reluctantly,  to a refractor. It also means I can keep the Mewlon cool during the day.

Regards Andrew 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Not a windup and no I have not changed my mind. I would have preferred an off axis Gergorian (see Big Bear solar telescope as an example). However, that would have been at least one if not two orders of magnitude more expensive. 

I could use the Mewlon but I have always wanted to try a Herschel wedge which led, reluctantly,  to a refractor. It also means I can keep the Mewlon cool during the day.

Regards Andrew 

Good decision, Andrew. Which Herschel wedge have you gone for?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, John said:

Just noticed your deliberate typo Andrew - "while light" :smiley:

Unless that's another form of observing that I've not come across :icon_scratch:

Well have you managed to observe the sun in the dark?

Regards Andrew 

PS corrected

• Thanks 1

Congratulations! I have a 90mm f10 on its way to me for exactly that purpose (and to use with the Quark), and if I can ever pick up a 1.25" HW then I'll be using my Swift 77mm f12.9 (proper classic!) for that job too!  😎

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, andrew s said:

I not sure they do one for f12. The ones you normally see advertised have s built I Barlow for f4 to f8. Regards Andrew 

Good point Andrew. The DayStar website says "QUARK Filters may be used at shorter and longer focal ratios than recommended. F-ratios of F/9 and higher will offer a dimmer visual view and may only be bright enough for photographic applications. F-ratios of less than F/4 will be brighter, but also widen the effective FWHMÂ bandpass performance of the QUARK filter".

If you want to try with my Quark, or even borrow it for a few days, you are most welcome.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

Good point Andrew. The DayStar website says "QUARK Filters may be used at shorter and longer focal ratios than recommended. F-ratios of F/9 and higher will offer a dimmer visual view and may only be bright enough for photographic applications. F-ratios of less than F/4 will be brighter, but also widen the effective FWHMÂ bandpass performance of the QUARK filter".

If you want to try with my Quark, or even borrow it for a few days, you are most welcome.

Most kind offer @JeremyS once established I will take you up on it.

Regards Andrew 

• Like 1