Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

6.5mm & 9mm Morpheus opinion

Hi all.

I was hoping for some options and advice on these two eye pieces in a 12" dob.

The 9mm will give me x166 and be a reasonable medium power.  Albeit slightly less than the x187 my 8mm bst provides.

Then there is the 6.5mm which will give x230. For some nice higher power viewing.

I was wondering how owners of these two eye pieces fund them which would be a more practical power, how do they compare to use? Do they both provide a great image.

Any info welcome 😀

2 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Hi all.

I was hoping for some options and advice on these two eye pieces in a 12" dob.

The 9mm will give me x166 and be a reasonable medium power.  Albeit slightly less than the x187 my 8mm bst provides.

Then there is the 6.5mm which will give x230. For some nice higher power viewing.

I was wondering how owners of these two eye pieces fund them which would be a more practical power, how do they compare to use? Do they both provide a great image.

Any info welcome 😀

I have a 12.5", so comments might be apropos.

Though it depends on the targets, I find:

magnification <100x not used often except for very large targets, like dark nebulae, etc.

magnification 100-150x  used a lot, especially in the upper part of the range, and are my typical "finder" eyepieces.

magnification 150-200x  The Goldilocks zone, neither too high nore too low.  Used all the time.  Some nights, this range is my only used range.  Great for galaxies.

Magnification 200-300x  Used most nights out.  Now a commonly-used range due to the prominent planets.  My favorite range for globulars and larger planetaries.  Great for small galaxies.

Magnification 300-500x.  Used for small planetaries, Uranus, Neptune, Mars (maybe).

So, if the 6.5mm yields 230x, it will depend a lot on seeing as to whether it is sharp.  The eyepiece is fine.

Look at the measured specs here:   http://astro-talks.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1483#p41976

and note that the 6.5mm and 9mm are highlighted in yellow, which means "excellent image quality".  They are nearly perfect at f/10 and very close to perfect at f/4.

Your only issue will be coma from the scope.

• Thanks 1

Have both the 6.5 and 9mm. Excellent EP's. Used in F7.5 and F6.2 refractors and an F4.7 Dob. Very sharp to my eyes. The 17.5 and 9mm are my personal favourites from the range. I really do not struggle at all with eye placement, and find them to be most comfortable. The 4.5mm has very obvious EoFB in (my) fast scopes. This didn't bother me at all at first. It does more so now. Fortunately perhaps, it is my least used EP.

Another good read:
https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/user-reviews/the-baader-planetarium-morpheus-r3003#:~:text=So the combination of all,made the Morpheus a wonderfully

• Thanks 1

Basically I think the experience shall be the same as your 12.5mm , and will be very sharp

as most users confirm regardless of FL ... I'm no EP Guru  but again 

i,m not aware of any other shaper at this price point or vastly more 🌞

Brian 

Edited by Solar B
  • Like 1

So the 6.5mm is on order, really looking forward to having this eye piece in the arsenal! Very impressed with the wide field views the 14mm is giving.  I hope for more of the same with the 6.5

I might consider the 9 or 12 next then call it a day 😁

• Like 1