NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Low altitude, but spectacular views last night.....

chiltonstar

Despite their current low altitude, I got a real treat last night with Saturn and Jupiter at their glorious best, despite the intense moonlight! Using my 180 Mak with ADC, Vixen SLV 15 mm, Baader Ortho 6 and 10mm and a 7.2 to 21.5mm zoom EPs, I had almost Hubble-like views for a few minutes as the seeing improved after a bank of cloud. Best magnification for J and S was about x245 and up to x300 once or twice.

The GRS and surrounding area was clear and sharp and a beautiful pale rose colour, and the belts full of intricate detail. The colour contrast between Callisto and Ganymede was particularly striking as the two moons were close together (23:30).

Nearby Saturn was textbook, with a very clear and sharp Cassini, banding on the disk, ring-on-planet and planet-on-ring shadows, a hint of the inner dark ring, and 4 or 5 moons readily visible. 

I tried taking the ADC off briefly (re recent post about the benefits or not) but there was little doubt that the visible detail was significantly better with the ADC, particularly on features such as the GRS. 

Chris

• Like 12

I too had a good night with those two. More detail than I've ever seen on Jupiter, I think, although admittedly I've not spent much time on him with a decent FL until recently.

I noticed particular detail between the equatorial bands.

• Like 1

Great stuff Chris, bet those views were something to savour. I had good successful with my new Heritage 150p, surprisingly good and plenty of detail visible; nowhere near as good as through the Mak I’m sure but very credible for a starter scope. The seeing was pretty good last night I thought, although Saturn was not the best, perhaps due to being over a neighbours house.

I’ve tried an ADC twice now and not got on with them. Because I use binoviewers I just find the whole setup very complex and it takes away from the viewing pleasure. It does seem that with a simpler setup, they can deliver useful improvements which is good to know. 3rd time lucky? Who knows!! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had quite a lot of cloud here but in between the seeing was pretty good. Transparency was not so good so getting the 12 inch dob out was not really the right move but I did get some very nice views of Jupiter and Saturn with the lowly 90mm achro refractor. Amazing that the chinese can push out good quality 3.5 inch objectives at the price you can pick these things up for. Seeing the Cassini Division, Great Red Spot etc for the price of a few gallons of fuel :grin:

I some ways the scope is more impressive than my Tak and LZOS. For what those things cost you would and should expect them to be top notch but this 90mm F/11 achromat OTA cost somewhat less than the finder on those scopes :rolleyes2:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John said:

I had quite a lot of cloud here but in between the seeing was pretty good. Transparency was not so good so getting the 12 inch dob out was not really the right move but I did get some very nice views of Jupiter and Saturn with the lowly 90mm achro refractor. Amazing that the chinese can push out good quality 3.5 inch objectives at the price you can pick these things up for. Seeing the Cassini Division, Great Red Spot etc for the price of a few gallons of fuel :grin:

I some ways the scope is more impressive than my Tak and LZOS. For what those things cost you would and should expect them to be top notch but this 90mm F/11 achromat OTA cost somewhat less than the finder on those scopes :rolleyes2:

We seem to be having similar experiences at the moment John!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/08/2020 at 10:05, chiltonstar said:

Despite their current low altitude, I got a real treat last night with Saturn and Jupiter at their glorious best, despite the intense moonlight! Using my 180 Mak with ADC, Vixen SLV 15 mm, Baader Ortho 6 and 10mm and a 7.2 to 21.5mm zoom EPs, I had almost Hubble-like views for a few minutes as the seeing improved after a bank of cloud. Best magnification for J and S was about x245 and up to x300 once or twice.

Hi @chiltonstar

Those are exactly the views I am after. Since we have the same 180 Mak and I am on the lookout for some new EPs, may I bother you for some advice?

Currently I have a cheap 8-24mm Seben Zoom (Celestron and such quality) and I have an ADC which I plan to use visually. Now I am on the outlook for some EPs to extend my set.

I see you list the candidates I have in mind, Baader Orthos, Vixen SLVs and a Hyperflex zoom (I presume from the focal length). Unfortunately I can't get all of those at once so I thought I ask:

Having experienced such a great night recently, which of your EPs was the most useful in combination with the ADC during that night?

Clear Skies,

Alex

6 hours ago, alex_stars said:

Hi @chiltonstar

Those are exactly the views I am after. Since we have the same 180 Mak and I am on the lookout for some new EPs, may I bother you for some advice?

Currently I have a cheap 8-24mm Seben Zoom (Celestron and such quality) and I have an ADC which I plan to use visually. Now I am on the outlook for some EPs to extend my set.

I see you list the candidates I have in mind, Baader Orthos, Vixen SLVs and a Hyperflex zoom (I presume from the focal length). Unfortunately I can't get all of those at once so I thought I ask:

Having experienced such a great night recently, which of your EPs was the most useful in combination with the ADC during that night?

Clear Skies,

Alex

I've PM'd you an answer Alex.

Chris

• Like 1