Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoculars

Open star clusters, globular clusters (eg M13), some of the brighter galaxies, doubles such as Mizar in Ursa Major. 

Bins are best used with a tripod if you have one, or steady yourself against something fixed. (I used to use the washing post). This is especially important with 15 x 70 which will be tricky to hold steady for long.

They can give spectacular views of the milky way, just sit or lay down and gaze upwards.

Apparently you can also use the to watch sports and wildlife, if that's your thing 🙂

Edited by Starwatcher2001
  • Like 1

Sorry Keith, I missed the moon out! Which is always lovely to look at, especially around the shadow (known as the terminator).

Binoculars are often a great start to astronomy as they are easier to use than a scope and will help to learn the night sky (if you're not familiar with it yet).  They can be rewarding on their own, but if you choose to get a telescope later, bins will always be of use to help find objects.

This is a good article on using bins to observe, and also has a good list of objects you can look for:

https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/binocular-stargazing-catalog/

If you don't currently have any charts with the constellations on them, this program is a great online version:

https://stellarium-web.org/

Enjoy your observing, and if you've got any other questions, feel free to ask away. Nothing is considered a daft question on here.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. I've just recently bought my first scope, a skywatcher 200p dob. I saw jupiter through it on my first night and was blown away. Already thinking of upgrading the supplied ep's and want a Barlow and maybe a zoom ep.

16 minutes ago, KeithP22 said:

The comet is quite dim now though John.

I saw it last night with 8x56 binoculars. Still quite distinct but not as splendid as when it was a naked eye comet, of course.

• Like 1

On 01/08/2020 at 20:25, KeithP22 said:

Other than planets what else would I be able to see with a pair of celestron 15×70 binoculars.  Thanks in advance. 

Since buying my first pair of binoculars for astronomy, they have become an invaluable tool. They're used more than my telescopes. Great for those nights when the cloud cover is somewhat unpredictable. Unfortunately in the UK, a common occurrence...

Just two nights ago I was up late and the skies cleared, so I plonked myself on a chair in my garden observing corner. Armed with the 10x50s and despite my Bortle 7/8 suburban environment I was treated to magnificent views of Cygnus as it passed across the zenith.

During that session, the 10x50s also provided the best view of the Andromeda Galaxy I've had from the garden, beating a 200p, 150p, 130p, 120ST and Skymax 102! Not just a fuzzy bright core, but also oval structure. 

I see you have a 200p now, but keep those binos handy!

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Since buying my first pair of binoculars for astronomy, they have become an invaluable tool. They're used more than my telescopes. Great for those nights when the cloud cover is somewhat unpredictable. Unfortunately in the UK, a common occurrence...

Just two nights ago I was up late and the skies cleared, so I plonked myself on a chair in my garden observing corner. Armed with the 10x50s and despite my Bortle 7/8 suburban environment I was treated to magnificent views of Cygnus as it passed across the zenith.

During that session, the 10x50s also provided the best view of the Andromeda Galaxy I've had from the garden, beating a 200p, 150p, 130p, 120ST and Skymax 102! Not just a fuzzy bright core, but also oval structure. 

I see you have a 200p now, but keep those binos handy!

I agree. Last week I found the sky has cleared around 2am! No time to get the big scope out, but within minutes I was checking out Andromeda, m13, the double cluster, Albireo, etc. with the bins.

I use them before a new star hop, to check out the area, as they have a similar view to my finder. Also a good way to spend the time waiting for the scope to cool.

I'm heading away for the coming weekend to a Bortle4 zone with the family for a break. I can't take the scope, but the bins will be coming with me!

'Mon the bins!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pixies said:

I agree. Last week I found the sky has cleared around 2am! No time to get the big scope out, but within minutes I was checking out Andromeda, m13, the double cluster, Albireo, etc. with the bins.

I use them before a new star hop, to check out the area, as they have a similar view to my finder. Also a good way to spend the time waiting for the scope to cool.

I'm heading away for the coming weekend to a Bortle4 zone with the family for a break. I can't take the scope, but the bins will be coming with me!

'Mon the bins!

Binoculars under rural skies are fantastic. Mine are taken every camping trip. Clear skies mate, enjoy! 👍

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Recently had surprisingly decent views of the Veil Nebula (both E & W plus a bit of Pickering's Triangle) with 15x70s and UHC/OIII filters. This was under 19.9 sqm town light pollution. Out in the countryside, under 21.4 or darker, things should really pop. North America nebula, California, etc.  Auriga has loads of things to view later in the season with binoculars as well. 

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 1

There was a mention of the binocularsky.com website earlier - its author Steve Tonkin has written a '10 Autumn binocular targets'  for Sky at Night magazine. 

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/skills/binocular-astronomy-targets-autumn/

MrsG spent a very fruitful yesterday evening picking them out at Astrofarm France with our 15x70s on a tripod. 

Edited by Gfamily
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Gfamily said:

There was a mention of the binocularsky.com website earlier - its author Steve Tonkin has written a '10 Autumn binocular targets'  for Sky at Night magazine. 

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/skills/binocular-astronomy-targets-autumn/

MrsG spent a very fruitful yesterday evening picking them out at Astrofarm France with our 15x70s on a tripod. 

Thanks. Did MrsG have any luck. I have 15x70s celestron. 

On 11/09/2020 at 22:47, Stardaze said:

Had a thoroughly enjoyable half hour lying on the lawn studying Cygnus tonight with the bins (10x42) tonight. Keeping thinking about complementing them with a pair of 15x70's at some point but I do like small size of what I have. 

My 15x70's are quite heavy after a while but give a good view of star clusters. I have a tripod but it's much less hassle to have them in hand. 

• Like 1