Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help me spend my reward money

My reward money? It’s the £200 I have promised myself for getting through an unpleasant Medical procedure today. 😖

So I have a Skywatcher ED100 on the way (apparently) and I was thinking something to improve or complement it would be nice. I’m unlikely to use the scope for imaging, mostly visual observing of DSOs, lunar and planetary. 

So current thoughts are for an improved focuser, possibly one of these, or a premium eyepiece (I’ve never never owned anything better than a Baader Hyperion). 

Any thoughts appreciated! 

• Like 1

Thanks Rob. Yes, that was my first thought to be honest! Perhaps a 13 or 15mm Delite. I was also thinking about a Vixen SSW, to experience some wider 82 degree views, possibly the 14mm. 

• Like 1

Since you expressed interest in 82 degrees FOV, how about ES82 11mm

I can't speak highly enough about my sample - probably the sharpest eyepiece I ever used. Looking at your EP collection - I think you are missing ultra wide field one? Not in terms of apparent field thru the eyepiece, but rather maximum possible field of view for ED100 telescope - something that you can use now in summer to sweep milky way and observe large objects like M31 for example?

Given your budget and what I said above, I guess this would be my recommendation:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-eyepieces/explore-scientific-82-degree-series-eyepieces.html

11mm version for £129

+

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ovl-eyepieces/panaview-2-eyepieces.html

38mm version at £86

bringing total to slightly over budget £215 + delivery.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Since you expressed interest in 82 degrees FOV, how about ES82 11mm

I can't speak highly enough about my sample - probably the sharpest eyepiece I ever used. Looking at your EP collection - I think you are missing ultra wide field one? Not in terms of apparent field thru the eyepiece, but rather maximum possible field of view for ED100 telescope - something that you can use now in summer to sweep milky way and observe large objects like M31 for example?

Given your budget and what I said above, I guess this would be my recommendation:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-eyepieces/explore-scientific-82-degree-series-eyepieces.html

11mm version for £129

+

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ovl-eyepieces/panaview-2-eyepieces.html

38mm version at £86

bringing total to slightly over budget £215 + delivery.

Very well considered suggestions Vlaiv. A 2” eyepiece would be great, never had one and would be good to experience wide field views of a 32mm with a quality ED. 

As for the ES, they sound great. Do you think the 14mm would be the same quality as the 11mm? The 11mm is close to my 10mm Hyperion 

8 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Very well considered suggestions Vlaiv. A 2” eyepiece would be great, never had one and would be good to experience wide field views of a 32mm with a quality ED. 

As for the ES, they sound great. Do you think the 14mm would be the same quality as the 11mm? The 11mm is close to my 10mm Hyperion 

I would rather go for 38mm version as it provides about the largest FOV one can get from 2" eyepiece. Here is comparison:

image.png.6fdec23f10d4897a47a316f62206e4b4.png

I have ES82 6.7mm and 11mm. Both are excellent eyepieces and only drawback is that eye relief is tighter than stated - or rather feels tighter. 82 degrees eyepiece really requires one to get close to be able to see it all to the field stop so eye lens of eyepiece is recessed slightly and that makes it feel like tighter eye relief eyepiece. In any case, to me 11mm feels just a bit sharper than 6.7mm, but that could easily be down to seeing and optics used. When I compare 6.7mm to 6mm BCO on any given night - they render same level of detail and sharpness to my eye (well difference being magnification and FOV only really). I'm planning on adding 8.8mm so I guess that 14mm version can't be bad either (however I'm not 100% sure on that - I have not tried it). From a quick search on people's opinions on this EP - most consider it very sharp and often say it's their most used EP - I guess than it has to be as good as others in the line.

49 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

I would rather go for 38mm version as it provides about the largest FOV one can get from 2" eyepiece. Here is comparison:

I have ES82 6.7mm and 11mm. Both are excellent eyepieces and only drawback is that eye relief is tighter than stated - or rather feels tighter. 82 degrees eyepiece really requires one to get close to be able to see it all to the field stop so eye lens of eyepiece is recessed slightly and that makes it feel like tighter eye relief eyepiece. In any case, to me 11mm feels just a bit sharper than 6.7mm, but that could easily be down to seeing and optics used. When I compare 6.7mm to 6mm BCO on any given night - they render same level of detail and sharpness to my eye (well difference being magnification and FOV only really). I'm planning on adding 8.8mm so I guess that 14mm version can't be bad either (however I'm not 100% sure on that - I have not tried it). From a quick search on people's opinions on this EP - most consider it very sharp and often say it's their most used EP - I guess than it has to be as good as others in the line.

Thanks Vlaiv, very informative.Yes the 38mm sounds awesome for wide fields. The only downside is my 1.25" OIII and UHC filters wouldn't fit, but no matter, it would be great to experience wide field views with the ED100. I'd also be tempted to travel out to a dark site to make the most of it.  The ES seem like quality eyepieces, worth the 20 - 25 day wait :)

17 minutes ago, RobertI said:

The ES seem like quality eyepieces, worth the 20 - 25 day wait

Oh, I did not notice that - would have thought they have it in stock, but probably issues with supply at the moment.

26 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Oh, I did not notice that - would have thought they have it in stock, but probably issues with supply at the moment.

No matter, the scope is probably going to take that long (they have said 2-3 weeks, I am expecting longer!).