NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice needed please, re guide camera...

6 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

I have the chance to buy an x2 for a very good price, (£200)  a bargain really, hence banging on about it... 👍😀

No reason not to go for it then. If you ever find yourself having issues because of too big pixels - you can always switch to OAG.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

Ok, you missed my point about the individual discussion with the other person on the thread....no worries....👍

I didn’t miss the point. I ignored it.  You have been resolute in getting this Lodestar X2 - hopefully mono - so go for it 

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I didn’t miss the point. I ignored it.  You have been resolute in getting this Lodestar X2 - hopefully mono - so go for it 

Yes, it is mono....

But I am not 100% sure yet, as I don’t want to end up buying twice....I have the scopes I wanted, and imaging cameras, which are both SX, one mono SXVR H18 and colour SXVR M25c...so want to make the right choice, but it does seem that the pixels may be a tad too big.... 🤔🤔

7 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Yes, it is mono....

But I am not 100% sure yet, as I don’t want to end up buying twice....I have the scopes I wanted, and imaging cameras, which are both SX, one mono SXVR H18 and colour SXVR M25c...so want to make the right choice, but it does seem that the pixels may be a tad too big.... 🤔🤔

I was all for getting a lodestar x2 mono, and after chatting to several imagers on here, some use the lodestar and some use ASI cameras. I don’t think you will be disappointed in either. I went from a 120MM to a 290MM. The latter is in a different league to the 120.  I use it at 1200mm and 185mm and it guides fine - on my mount I get <0.6RMS.  My imaging resolutions are, depending on my configuration, either 0.93”/px or 2.23”/px.

The 290MM I bought is the USB3 model and it doubles up as a great solar and lunar camera. The lodestar has a very small sensor so would be limited to guiding. 

The 120MM works well with a guidescope but is just borderline as an oag. The 290MM works well as both. 

Edited by tooth_dr

9 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I was all for getting a lodestar x2 mono, and after chatting to several imagers on here, some use the lodestar and some use ASI cameras. I don’t think you will be disappointed in either. I went from a 120MM to a 290MM. The latter is in a different league to the 120.  I use it at 1200mm and 185mm and it guides fine - on my mount I get <0.6RMS.  My imaging resolutions are, depending on my configuration, either 0.93”/px or 2.23”/px.

The 290MM I bought is the USB3 model and it doubles up as a great solar and lunar camera. The lodestar has a very small sensor so would be limited to guiding. 

The 120MM works well with a guidescope but is just borderline as an oag. The 290MM works well as both. 

So what size is the 290 sensor, as the lodestar is 1/2” square, and the ASI120 is only 1/3”..?

6 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

So what size is the 290 sensor, as the lodestar is 1/2” square, and the ASI120 is only 1/3”..?

You probably know the answer 😉

It’s actually smaller, I assumed the lodestar was 1/4”

Edited by tooth_dr

5 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

You probably know the answer 😉

It’s actually smaller, I assumed the lodestar was 1/4”

Actually I don’t know at all....never had any dealings with ASI cameras, as have always been a CCD guy.... 👍 I knew the 120 was 1/3” purely because my mate uses one..and heard him say...but will look it up... 

52 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Actually I don’t know at all....never had any dealings with ASI cameras, as have always been a CCD guy.... 👍 I knew the 120 was 1/3” purely because my mate uses one..and heard him say...but will look it up... 

No problem, good luck.

• Thanks 1