Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Attaching a 2in filter to my setup

I am considering buying a used 2in filter, but I am bit troubled, on how I can attach this on my current AP setup. I am using a skywatcher 130pds, and a canon dslr. I connect the dslr to the scope with a t-ring that I bought extra, and an adapter that was included in the telescope's original package, as you can see in the attached photo. So the question is how am I going to attach the 2in filter?Am I going to need something extra?

IMG_20200720_111645(1).jpg

The trouble with an adapter (which you would need) is that it takes up space and you would risk the chance of the extra extension that this would introduce making it impossible to achieve focus.

You could have a custom adapter produced but this would probably negate the whole idea of buying a second hand filter in the first place!

If you use a Baader cc you can screw on the end , I had an old skywatcher 2” filter I unscrewed from outer ring and screwed to the m42 thread of the T-ring just buy a spare T-ring so you don’t need to take back out .

Edited by bottletopburly

If you are not using a coma corrector or field flattener then i dont think it will change the ability for a dslr to achieve focus as it just replaces the adapter in your photo, the telescope focuser should provide enough travel to still achieve focus. Maybe send FLO a message to check

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dark knight said:

Maybe this will be the answer, internally threaded for 2 inch filters

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/flo_2-inch_T_adapter.html

That looks promising, it only adds 4mm of backspace.

8 hours ago, therion82 said:

Thanks Steve, for the response! So what do you think are my options here? Only clip filters?
Could a coma corrector do the trick?Meaning can it fit inside there?

A coma corrector would certainly increase your inward focus travel allowance - it might be worth focusing on a star and then measuring the amount of inwards travel you have left and use that as a start point.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, therion82 said:

I think that Baader Protective t ring, is the more expensive version of this https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/flo_2-inch_T_adapter.html , right guys?

More expensive yes, but it enables you to insert a filter into the actual camera ring itself, and not rely on the nosepiece. So you could still thread onto your focuser or however you attach it. It comes with an M42 and M48 ring that fits into the camera ring.

Screenshot_20200728-114041_Firefox.thumb.jpg.d70079d66507c6f6f296905453e95c85.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

More expensive yes, but it enables you to insert a filter into the actual camera ring itself, and not rely on the nosepiece. So you could still thread onto your focuser or however you attach it. It comes with an M42 and M48 ring that fits into the camera ring.

Ooh, I like the idea of that - a very effective solution and a warning that I must keep my eye on the FLO website more often.....!

• Like 1