Don’t laugh. First solar prom vid!

assouptro

So, the sun came out on Friday afternoon and I got a chance to play with my modified Quark on my ed100 with my little Blackfly camera.

The last time I was able to observe I saw a lovely solar Prominence evolve and I thought “ that could be fun to image!”

so this time, I found one and shot a series of 500frame videos using Roi at 640x480 

I only got one frame of the surface due to cloud so I have used that as the foreground. 

so here is a whole weekends work compressed to a couple of meaningless seconds!! 

Thanks for looking! 😊

Edited by assouptro
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

Nah that’s amazing. I’ve started doing a few solar timelapses and appreciate the huge effort they goes into them.

Thank you! 
It’s good to get some feedback for the effort! 
If I try again, I will try and get a matching surface for each frame. 
My wife is quite understanding when it comes to my hobby but the time involved in this was potentially pushing it! 😊

Cheers 

Bryan 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

Nice. How is your quark modified?

Cheers 

Steve

Hi Steve

It was originally a solar scout 60, but I removed the Quark and adapted it to fit other telescopes

So it’s a bit more like a Daystar Quark now 😊

Cheers 

Bryan 

32 minutes ago, assouptro said:

Hi Steve

It was originally a solar scout 60, but I removed the Quark and adapted it to fit other telescopes

So it’s a bit more like a Daystar Quark now 😊

Cheers 

Bryan 

Ah, ok

It shows some nice surface detail. Do you use an internal ERF?

1 hour ago, Steve Clay said:

Ah, ok

It shows some nice surface detail. Do you use an internal ERF?

I was using a 35nm Baader 2” filter on the nose of the quark and I had just made a blocking filter for the front of the telescope, a scope cover with a smaller hole cut out reducing the 100mm to about 60mm to increase the F and hopefully improve contrast. 
the surface shot wasn’t great, it was clouding up.

I have another image of the surface at full camera resolution from the same  session I will get round to processing that one soon to demonstrate what it’s capable of (or what I’m capable of?) 

cheers

Bryan 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, assouptro said:

I was using a 35nm Baader 2” filter on the nose of the quark and I had just made a blocking filter for the front of the telescope, a scope cover with a smaller hole cut out reducing the 100mm to about 60mm to increase the F and hopefully improve contrast. 
the surface shot wasn’t great, it was clouding up.

I have another image of the surface at full camera resolution from the same  session I will get round to processing that one soon to demonstrate what it’s capable of (or what I’m capable of?) 

cheers

Bryan 

Sorry for all the questions but does your quark have the in-built barlow.  What was the final f ratio.

Cheers 

Steve

3 hours ago, assouptro said:

I did! 
what an epic task!!

Indeed. One gets better at it with time, I got down to maybe 3-5 s per image (using transparent layers in GIMP); but still, those 200-frame time lapses were tiring. So I wrote a tool to automate it, give it a try: ImPPG

TL;DR version: download the program, choose Tools/Align image sequence... from the menu and enjoy the frames aligned with sub-pixel precision.

The batch processing function may be also of interest; check the tutorials linked on the homepage.

1 hour ago, Steve Clay said:

Sorry for all the questions but does your quark have the in-built barlow.  What was the final f ratio.

Cheers 

Steve

Hi Steve 

yeah the Quark has a built in Barlow, I was altering the F ratio of the scope from F6 to what I’m not sure sorry, I was just experimenting. 😊

1 hour ago, GreatAttractor said:

Indeed. One gets better at it with time, I got down to maybe 3-5 s per image (using transparent layers in GIMP); but still, those 200-frame time lapses were tiring. So I wrote a tool to automate it, give it a try: ImPPG

TL;DR version: download the program, choose Tools/Align image sequence... from the menu and enjoy the frames aligned with sub-pixel precision.

The batch processing function may be also of interest; check the tutorials linked on the homepage.

Awesome! 
I haven’t  used Gimp for years! I was using Photoshop but I think I may have to refresh my Gimp skills! 
Thanks for that! 🙏

Bryan 😊