Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What exactly do I need - camera ->> scope

Hi there, haven't had a go at photography yet but really getting into star gazing. I already have a pretty good camera (although that doesn't mean I know how to use it well - I just like to buy expensive things for the craic) and wouldn't mind having a go at taking some pictures to show people.

But I'm not sure exactly what to do... I've read a few sites and a few threads on this forum that lay out the principles like layering several exposures on top of each other and long exposure times for DSOs etc. I also know that you can get an attachment to hook your camera up to your scope but none mention my specific camera brand. Samsung.

I have this scope and this camera

What exactly do I need to attach the two?

thanks

As a minimum you only need a 1.25" to T thread adaptor and a T2 adaptor to suit your camera.

The lens is removed from the body, the T2 adaptor fitted and the T thread section of the 1.25" adaptor screwed into it.

The 1.25" nosepiece section is inserted to the focuser (like an eyepiece).

That's it!

You may find a remote or cable release is easier to use than pressing the button..... all the other 100 and 1 other bits come later!!!

hello burning barricade

Merlin 66 gave you some of the kit you will need but there is more you will also need an infra red cut filter for the camera to cover over the ccd chip you may also find that you need an additional counterweight to balance your camera and you will certainly need a remote shutter release also you may find that the go-to mount you have is not good enough for long exposure of dso's for those you really need an EQ mount and a heavy sturdy one like an EQ6 to get good quality results in astrophotography the mount is much more important than the OTA.

you will also need to download registax and obtain a photo suite type package. one other option might be to use the camera afocally instead and that would require a camera mounting bracket like this http://www.firstlight-optics.com/products.php?cat=55 which for you might be a cheaper option for now

regards Pete

you will also need an infra red cut filter for the camera to cover over the ccd chip

you will also need to download registax and obtain a photo suite type package.

I think you can do away with the filter for now and the software is free.

RE Image processing, for stacking planet images taken as AVI I use Registax, for DSO image stacking I use Deep Sky Stacker. For final image processing I use Gimp.

These 3 packages are all free and are all downloaded from the Web.

This is just my very inexperianced opinion as I have just stated imaging. Imaging is a minefield and also a bottomless pit at the same time. It is also very rewarding to see your work take shape on the screen in front of you.

Give it a go I dont think you will regret it.

Gary

Archived