NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 200p dob v 200p explorer eq5

What are people's opinions on the skyliner 200p dob versus a 200p explorer with a eq5 mount?

I am looking to buy my first scope but there seems to be quite a wait on the dob everywhere, but I've found a couple of the explorers within my budget for sale used.

Would I be better off waiting or is the explorer a good buy?

Thanks

I used to have a 200mm f5 Newtonian on a manual EQ5 mount and I didn't like it. It was too tall, the eyepiece got into awkward positions and it was hard to find anything with it. With just a straight-thru finder it was almost impossible to find anything near the zenith.

If you want a dob there are different brands e.g Bresser.  If you can spend more, get a used C8 SE, or the bargain C8 Evolution in the For Sale section here.

For visual observing I'd go for the dob every time.

An EQ mounted scope (and I do have them) is quite awkward to use IMHO.

The dob version is F/6 compared to the Explorers F/5 by the way. F/6 is a bit more forgiving on eyepieces and collimation.

• Thanks 1

The main issue with Newtonian telescopes on equatorial mounts is that the eyepiece can end up in awkward positions. This is solved by rotating the OTA in the tube rings but it can quickly becoming tiring, especially if you constantly flit between targets. Being an alt-az mount, the Dobsonian doesn’t have this problem. 

With the Dobsonian, you can be observing in minutes. The EQ mount will take more effort to move about and need to be polar aligned before you start observing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've recently ordered a 200p Dob after a fair bit of research and invaluable advice on here saying that for a 1st scope it was best to avoid an EQ mount. I'm still using bins until it turns up, and reading as much as possible on how to work it! 🤪

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Redworminator said:

My budget is £300 so don't think I could get the other ones by the look of it. Out of interest how tall are you? You say it was too tall but I'm 6ft 4 so that may suit me

If you fully extend the tripod legs and point the scope at the zenith, you will need a step-up to reach the eyepiece at about 7 ft off the ground. This outfit is big...

or with the legs retracted, board fences get in the way of low objects.