Siril - registering and stacking images

Looking for some ideas / assistance. 

I use a Mac and I need to stack images. Following suggestions I have downloaded Siril. So, before eI go any further what have I got and wha am I doing?

• Nikon Z6 camera shooting RAW files
  • 5 images of Neowise
  • Siril v0.9.12

I have tried two methods: DSLR script (no dark/flat/bias frames) and using file conversion to create FIT files, registration, stacking.

If I try using single or global star alignment it says it can't - no stars (I have played around with Analysis Dynamic PSF). If I use 'comet/asteroid' option, I get a complete mess per the attached. 

I'm either missing a critical step, or misconfiguring something somewhere... any ideas?

Ron.

660740828_Screenshot2020-07-15at13_51_04.png.567d863461937e1598e9e27038b6aa18.png

Edited by Tenor Viol

there is a comet stacking procedure to follow here, PDF at top

https://discuss.pixls.us/t/comet-registration-tutorial/16248/5

it works pretty well

you are missing several important steps

I got this from my wide field stack, on my second try once I found the PDF as the first go without it was a mess too, window frame on left and a static mount

NEOWISE_stacked.thumb.jpg.89f77a6760b7837d4c5dcbb725e811f9.jpg

I could take this into a photo editor and layer in the foreground and crop the edges etc.

Edited by happy-kat

41 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

there is a comet stacking procedure to follow here, PDF at top

https://discuss.pixls.us/t/comet-registration-tutorial/16248/5

it works pretty well

you are missing several important steps

I got this from my wide field stack, on my second try once I found the PDF as the first go without it was a mess too, window frame on left and a static mount

NEOWISE_stacked.thumb.jpg.89f77a6760b7837d4c5dcbb725e811f9.jpg

I could take this into a photo editor and layer in the foreground and crop the edges etc.

Thanks. I found that PDF doing a search earlier, but it didn't seem to be doing anything I hadn't done? I was confused by the 'sequence' option. I'm using a DSLR so I thought the first step is fie conversion to get from RAW to FIT? Not sure what 'sequence' step is doing?

I've put in the sequence step and it says it succeeded, but the registration step still failed. The PDF looks like it's processing a mono image whereas I'm colour, so it's selected green channel for this (channel #1):

1716531077_Screenshot2020-07-15at23_04_13.thumb.png.c9db75732c7dad8aa014cdb1e926f45c.png

2 hours ago, happy-kat said:

I can't try a process until tonight, I'll see what else I've done when doing it. My 55mm works but I'm not winning on my 85mm but those images have less defined stars

Mine are at 145mm

21 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi everyone

Sorry. I'm being thick i know, but where is -the link to- the files that the OP is having difficulty with?

@Tenor Viol You have a very old version of Siril. Please update to the newest. It looks like this:

ss2.thumb.jpg.8f66a8e8ebb8c8f31ba0921a36446c95.jpg

HTH and clear skies.

Hi - thanks I will check - I only downloaded it last week off the Siril site.... Here is one of the RAW files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MLLm6kVJ7cWz6LR16sD-p8dcttobBeDq/view?usp=sharing

I'll check the version I'm using. I should add I can see using fitsliberator that the stacked file does have the R, G anr B channels so I'll use the compose module in StarTools.

Edited by happy-kat

1 hour ago, Tenor Viol said:

Sorry. I'd forgotten. Mac is several versions behind.  Not ideal but it should still work. 

Do you have access to a Linux box?

Do we have the files somewhere? I'll see if I can try with an older version.

Cheers

Edited by alacant

20 minutes ago, alacant said:

Link is private:(

Odd... should have been a Google drive link.... I think they've been playing with how it works, let me re-send....

Yes - just looked na dGoogle have changed how it works...🙄

New link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MLLm6kVJ7cWz6LR16sD-p8dcttobBeDq/view?usp=sharing