Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An accidental starless pickering

Datalord

I wanted to highlight the difference between the same object in the RASA in broadband and the 12" RC in narrowband at different focal lengths. So I started processing it and accidentally went starless and it turned out pretty good.

Pickering_starless.thumb.png.6270f1a7bc3d1f53a5ccd4942ac29eb7.png

image.png.766a70eb0bfa6097e328ff1a56cd5097.png

For comparison, here is the RASA version. And only 2h20m.

1253143893_pickering_final@033x.thumb.png.5ac6bfcaa62e66828f2163b0deb9611b.png

• Like 11

51 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

That is incredible. Will you do a mosaic of the entire veil complex like that? 

Definitely not a mosaic with the RC, that would take me 10 years. But I actually did start to collect more data on the RASA for a full mosaic, but as that one is in UK, clouds and summer darkness stopped my progress.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ramdom said:

That's a beautiful starless - I'm surprised you were able to do it "accidentally" - I just learnt to do it and takes me about 10 minutes!

--Ram

Accidental because I didn't intend to do it, but the starnet result was so good I almost didn't have to correct anything. Definitely not 10 minutes as starnet takes about 20 minutes on each sub to finish. But yes, easy.

3 hours ago, MikeCM said:

I really like the deep rich colour which is accentuated by the lack of stars. Great stuff. What did you use to remove the stars if you don't mind me asking ?

Kind regards, Mike

Thanks! I used Starnet++ in PI. I had to correct the nebula in two places where the stars were too big for it to handle. I carefully clonestamped them out. 

• Like 1

On 14/07/2020 at 12:20, MarkAR said:

That's probably the cleanest starless image I've ever seen, looks stunning.

Thanks! I only had to do a few stars to clean up, otherwise Starnet++ did the heavy lifting.

• Like 1

• Datalord changed the title to An accidental starless pickering