Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter and saturn...

Dannomiss

35 minutes ago, John said:

I'm not using my dob on Saturn and Jupiter currently because they are so low.

What elevation are they rising to up there @John?

I do feel for you all having to peer through the murky wobbly atmosphere to see these magnificent objects, when my problem is craning my neck to view them overhead!

Can't see them here until after midnight when they clear the trees, but in August I shall be spending a lot of time on them. :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dannomiss said:

It's amazing isn't it. I remember that about 7 weeks ago and I was blown away. A moment I will always remember. I have been viewing Jupiter and Saturn through a BST 8mm starguider which is really nice too. Doesn't stay in frame long but its beautiful

What mag is the 8mm giving you in your scope?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dannomiss said:

I suspose if you take the photo yourself, regardless of quality it will always mean much more that a glossy magazine photo of jupiter - because we've take them. 🙂

true enough but i get a real kick out of seeing great pics on here, from others  .. its the best incentive for me . I posted a single shot of M3 last night (on instagram) . It certainly wont win any awards but as a single shot i am proud of it . 

• Like 1

As this is the observing section of the forum, no images are required :smiley:

Really lovely views of Jupiter and Saturn tonight with my ED120 refractor.

Saturn's disk banding stood out particularly well and the globe had a 3D look to it. Glimpses of the Crepe Ring as well as a clearly defined Cassini Division.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Hi @John

I think you missed my earlier enquiry about the altitude of these planets where you are observing, are they below 10 degrees?

You're doing really well to see such details with them low down there.

Sorry Geoff - I did miss that. Jupiter is around 15 degrees where I am and Saturn a touch higher.

Some nights the seeing has been poor but there have also been good nights, like tonight.