Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter and saturn...

Dannomiss

So I managed to get outside for 45mins last night and take a photo. 

These are just single shots taken and edited on my snsrtphone. Haven't done stacking yet from the video I recorded, but pretty pleased with Jupiter one 👌😊

IMG_20200712_010648-01.jpeg

IMG_20200712_000616.jpg

• Like 10

Good result, well done :)

Must get out and take a look again at them while I'm still able since they are starting to show above the rooftops around 11:30 here now I noticed last night. 

Others have merged 2 sets of shots, one with longer exposure to pick out the moons which is really neat and maybe worth a try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robindonne said:

Nice.  Always hard to describe with a picture how beautiful the eyepiece showed it

Oh in eyepiece... Just beautiful 😊 these pictures don't show one bit what I saw. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveL59 said:

Good result, well done :)

Must get out and take a look again at them while I'm still able since they are starting to show above the rooftops around 11:30 here now I noticed last night. 

Others have merged 2 sets of shots, one with longer exposure to pick out the moons which is really neat and maybe worth a try.

Yeah will try that at some point for sure. I think there's a 5th moon now Showing as well 🤔

they are a lovely sight aren't they :) Only took a quick look with binos last night so can't confirm the moons, was going to head off to bed after a smoke you see, hence didn't attempt to lug a scope out as I'd not planned ahead, my bad. With the TAL-M dismantled at the min I've only the 1M long OTA's available to play with and they take a bit more effort than a quick lift and step outside.

• Like 1

Single shots from a smartphone, pretty good I think. What scope/mag? I know your using bst’s though, new toys 😎

I’ve been “planeteering“ (is that a real word) a fair bit lately and it does bring on a grin when you see stripes. Tried mars with those eyepieces gets, it’s so small. 

Dale. 

1 hour ago, Dantooine said:

Single shots from a smartphone, pretty good I think. What scope/mag? I know your using bst’s though, new toys 😎

I’ve been “planeteering“ (is that a real word) a fair bit lately and it does bring on a grin when you see stripes. Tried mars with those eyepieces gets, it’s so small. 

Dale. 

I am quite pleased to be honest. 🙂 The scope is a SW Heritage 150p, and Mag I think was approx 187x. 8mm lens +2x barlow. Slightlyu better shots below

The planets.jpg

Edited by Dannomiss
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dannomiss said:

I am quite pleased to be honest. 🙂 The scope is a SW Heritage 150p, and Mag I think was approx 187x. 8mm lens +2x barlow. Slightlyu better shots below

The planets.jpg

They are nice maybe I should get a connection for my phone then. Who needs an astrophotographers 💰💰💰💰💰 rig after all 😁

• Thanks 1

Saw Jupiter through my binoculars for the first time last night!

I spent a few minutes earlier in the evening thinking "what is that really bright star..." then later using Stellarium for Neowise I saw oh wow it's Jupiter! Checked it through the binocular and saw it as a disc and all four moons. Such a cool sight!! A real wow moment. But was 00:30 by that time and I was knackered...

Going to get my skywatcher 150 on it tonight, i'm hoping to see it in much better detail for much longer. And Saturn!

• Like 3

I did the binoculars (8x40) about MDT.  Could just make out Jupiter moons for brief moments. Saturn was behind an oak tree but swung 90 degrees left and lower, there was mars!  Binoculars are good if you have time limits. Your 150 will give you a nice view 👍 

• Like 1

Great thread ... so tonight i am going to try and hook up my 127 mak with my camera . Love seeing photos like those above . Don't know how you guys see it but i would rather look at "real" stuff  like  that  than glossy images in a magazine . 

• Like 2

On 14/07/2020 at 10:38, Dannomiss said:

Beautiful pics. What phone and camera app are you using and what were the settings on the camera app?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Great thread ... so tonight i am going to try and hook up my 127 mak with my camera . Love seeing photos like those above . Don't know how you guys see it but i would rather look at "real" stuff  like  that  than glossy images in a magazine . 

Ha ha, I’m pleased just seeing a black smudged on mars!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

These planets look even better through the eyepiece. Both were razor sharp last night through my 130mm refractor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John said:

These planets look even better through the eyepiece. Both were razor sharp last night through my 130mm refractor.

Must be nice through a 130. I’m getting my fix through a 102 and it’s amazing how little magnification you need to enjoy the views. At just 55x things look good. Mostly I like it between 90 & 120x. Things stay in place a long time on my az mount. 

• Like 1

Saw my first scope view of Saturn and Jupiter last night!! Amazing, real wow moment. 

Got the best views with a BST 18mm starguider and an orion shorty barlow. Tried it with a 10mm plossl but it didn't look good. 

I was hoping to maybe make out the great red spot and the Cassini division but couldn't quite do it. Can you see these through larger scopes? It felt like the seeing wouldn't have been good enough no matter the scope!

Oh and are any planetary filters worth it? I've heard mixed things...

Edited by RobH2020
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, RobH2020 said:

Saw my first scope view of Saturn and Jupiter last night!! Amazing, real wow moment. 

Got the best views with a BST 18mm starguider and an orion shorty barlow. Tried it with a 10mm plossl but it didn't look good. 

I was hoping to maybe make out the great red spot and the Cassini division but couldn't quite do it. Can you see these through larger scopes? It felt like the seeing wouldn't have been good enough no matter the scope!

The Cassini Division is visible in scopes from 70mm and upwards. It requires steady seeing though at smaller apertures. It was very obvious the night before last with my 130mm refractor.

The GRS can be seen in scopes of a similar aperture to the above, when it is on "our" side of Jupiter again half decent seeing is required. I spotted it fairly easily with a 90mm mak-cassegrain a few nights back.

Personally I don't find filters do much for my planetary observing but others have found them some help.

With the low position of the planets some are finding Atmospheric Diffraction Correctors (ADC's) working well for them:

10 minutes ago, John said:

The Cassini Division is visible in scopes from 70mm and upwards. It requires steady seeing though at smaller apertures. It was very obvious the night before last with my 130mm refractor.

The GRS can be seen in scopes of a similar aperture to the above, when it is on "our" side of Jupiter again half decent seeing is required. I spotted it fairly easily with a 90mm mak-cassegrain a few nights back.

Personally I don't find filters do much for my planetary observing but others have found them some help.

With the low position of the planets some are finding Atmospheric Diffraction Correctors (ADC's) working well for them:

Thanks John. Hmm, sounds like I should've been able to see it then (Sorry forgot to mention I was using a 150mm dob). maybe the seeing just wasn't good enough? They're quite low and it's hard to observe them without houses somewhere below them for me! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobH2020 said:

Thanks John. Hmm, sounds like I should've been able to see it then (Sorry forgot to mention I was using a 150mm dob). maybe the seeing just wasn't good enough? They're quite low and it's hard to observe them without houses somewhere below them for me! 

I'm not using my dob on Saturn and Jupiter currently because they are so low.

Fortunately I have some nice refractors on tall tripods which make life easier with low targets.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

Beautiful pics. What phone and camera app are you using and what were the settings on the camera app?

I am just using the default Camera app in pro mode on my huawei p20 phone. Seems to work great. ISO around 400 and quick shutter speed. These are just single shots. Hopefully once I get the hang of stacking, the photos will be better quality

2 hours ago, RobH2020 said:

It's amazing isn't it. I remember that about 7 weeks ago and I was blown away. A moment I will always remember. I have been viewing Jupiter and Saturn through a BST 8mm starguider which is really nice too. Doesn't stay in frame long but its beautiful

20 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

I suspose if you take the photo yourself, regardless of quality it will always mean much more that a glossy magazine photo of jupiter - because we've take them. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Dannomiss said:

I am just using the default Camera app in pro mode on my huawei p20 phone. Seems to work great. ISO around 400 and quick shutter speed. These are just single shots. Hopefully once I get the hang of stacking, the photos will be better quality

I have great trouble stacking my photos too much, the pile always slides and they go all over the place 🤣

• Haha 2