NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any advice from the pros` on imaging Neowise tomorrow morning?

Hi all,

I'm planning on getting up at 3am to look NE at C/2020 F3 Neowise and was considering attempting to photograph it. So, I was wondering if any of you comet photographers can give me a few tips and tricks?

Ive read that Neowise is a wide field comet, so will 50mm be good? I have a Star Adventurer Mini, should I use it or does it not matter for comets as I assume the exposure will be short? Also I'm not sure Polaris will be that visible (although I guess I could set up earlier)

At the time I was planning on going out, the light from the dun will have already started to light up the horizon a bit, so any suggestions of ISO, exposure times, number of shots etc? Do you still stack comet images? I know I can (and will) Google all this, but I figure you wonderful folk might have some personal tips to share with a AP newbie

Is it worth me carrying my kit to the top of the hill or shall I just go and enjoy the view with binoculars? 

My kit :

unmodified Canon 4000d 18-55mm f.4-f5.6

Canon 70-300mm f.5.6

Star Adventurer Mini 

And my location is Biggin Hill, Greater London TN16 3RL

Thanks in advance.

(this is a duplicate post that I originally posted in the wrong sub forum)

I'm just a beginner myself but I would consider getting up and ready before 3. I was out last night and could see it from 1 onwards, albeit I am further north than you. You might be battling sunrise before too long if you come across a few difficulties at 3.

• Like 1

I would suggest going out earlier.   I shot it last night at 2am and it was fine. I'm a fair bit more north that you.  Polaris is easily found, but you could set up earlier if you are concerned.  I just popped my SA down, got it roughly level and placed polaris within the circle, nothing to accurate needed at 50mm.  I shot with a widefield lens 28-70mm, and I think I ended up using it at about 50mm so you are good to go there.

I didnt bother stacking, I wasnt sure how worthwhile it would be at 50mm, so maybe just aim for nice single shots with some foreground.  I took 30 second exposures at ISO200-800 and stopped down to F4.0.  I tried a few different lengths ISOs, apertures and hoped that some of them would look ok when I got home.   Your lens with be at F5.6 at 55mm, so aim for ISO1600.

Have fun and enjoy it, dont feel too stressed.  Try to get one shot of it at the beginning, just to say you got it and then worry about any arty foreground composition shots after that!  But definitely carry the gear up - if you dont you will regret it.

• Like 1

I'd like to thank everyone for their replies. I went out at 3am and instantly saw it in the sky...I hastily set up my tracker and camera and managed to get some pretty decent shots. These are all single exposures, tracked...I can't remember the exact settings, but they were roughly:

8sec exposure

800iso

F7.1

300mm

I haven't seen a naked eye comet since Hale-Bopp. It is a surreal experience to see something like this right there in the sky... amazing

Here are 2 shots. 

neowise_grade1 copy.jpg

neowise_grade2 copy.jpg

• Like 3