SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Shed for storage?

BS269

Apologies, I know this isn’t about an observatory but I don’t know where else to put it. 

I want to store my equipment in a shed as where I observe is about 35m from my house. Included in this equipment will be a brand new EQ6-R pro. I know I need to get it pressurised so it’s waterproof, especially as it’s quite windy and rainy where I live. Is there anything else I need to consider to make sure the equipment will be in safe and top condition? e.g. covers, shed extras etc? Please let me know what would be needed as I don’t want to spend a lot of money on stuff for it to get ruined! 

cheers!

Depending on the security of your location, get a decent lock on it !!

My  "shed-obsy"    ( I won't copy-write that !!  )  is only 10m from the house and so is more a staging post than a self contained unit.   

It basically keeps the items that I need at hand...errr.... close at hand, and saves me running backwards and forwards.   

Tripods are fiddly critters  to move long distances , they take up a lot of house-space if the legs are spread, annoy the local management and with mount attached can be quite heavy.

I do run a powerlead from the house, but keep the 12vPSU  on a shelf inside the structure just in case of a downpour.   

I built this off the top of my head without too much planning, thinking about a "big door-little door" design.  The big door opens up to provide a wind-break. the little door provides access to counter-weights, masks, bits and bobs.

Tanalised wood, good quality felt on the roof and try to ensure good drainage in the ground below the structure. ie support on slabs or bricks.   Although only a shed, try to make allowance for moisture because on hot days, vapour will rise from any damp at ground level , get trapped inside and condense on the cooler metal of your kit.

Here are some pics of my "Mount-House" before I put the padlocks on it.

Hope this helps.

IMG_7671.thumb.JPG.b25524aac85a161f5e2beca19a3aa5c3.JPG IMG_7672.thumb.JPG.a0f3bd76962cdf7850af9b0681ea2199.JPG IMG_7674.thumb.JPG.1968d3329e6e22c88dd0a17648687a65.JPG

Edited by Craney

22 minutes ago, Craney said:

Depending on the security of your location, get a decent lock on it !!

My  "shed-obsy"    ( I won't copy-write that !!  )  is only 10m from the house and so is more a staging post than a self contained unit.   

It basically keeps the items that I need at hand...errr.... close at hand, and saves me running backwards and forwards.   

Tripods are fiddly critters  to move long distances , they take up a lot of house-space if the legs are spread, annoy the local management and with mount attached can be quite heavy.

I do run a powerlead from the house, but keep the 12vPSU  on a shelf inside the structure just in case of a downpour.   

I built this off the top of my head without too much planning, thinking about a "big door-little door" design.  The big door opens up to provide a wind-break. the little door provides access to counter-weights, masks, bits and bobs.

Tanalised wood, good quality felt on the roof and try to ensure good drainage in the ground below the structure. ie support on slabs or bricks.   Although only a shed, try to make allowance for moisture because on hot days, vapour will rise from any damp at ground level , get trapped inside and condense on the cooler metal of your kit.

Here are some pics of my "Mount-House" before I put the padlocks on it.

Hope this helps.

IMG_7671.thumb.JPG.b25524aac85a161f5e2beca19a3aa5c3.JPG IMG_7672.thumb.JPG.a0f3bd76962cdf7850af9b0681ea2199.JPG IMG_7674.thumb.JPG.1968d3329e6e22c88dd0a17648687a65.JPG

A good lock is a good point!! Generally where I live it’s a safe place but I will definitely be taking precaution on that sense.

nice little set up!! Mine will definitely be more of a workshop, as I’m looking for a 6’ x 8’ shed which allows me to have a table for scopes/accessories, somewhere to sit for any work to do or imaging, and some extra room for an eventual dob purchase. It then saves me going forward and backward by a lot less!

There is also a chance I can get mains power in there too, which would allow me to use an extension lead to power the mount instead of paying another couple hundred quid for a portable power pack. It would also allow me for potential heating in the shed, though I think my dad would kill me if I had a heater on 24/7 for telescopes!

I’ll keep in mind the shed details you suggested, I don’t want to buy the cheapest shed possible. I want to make sure it’s a stable environment for them. I’m thinking it might be worth looking at an actual workshop. Could have better storage options and potentially better weatherproof designs as well. 

As I will most likely buy cases for the scopes and put accessories in containers, I guess it’s mostly the mount I’m worried about, as dismantling that entirely to fit in a case would take quite a while I suppose. Is it okay to just buy a cover for it? I’ll look to make sure the shed/workshop is well ventilated. Though I’m not sure how it can be this and water right as I don’t really want any windows (for safety purposes). I’m guessing insulation is a possibility but I want inside to be similar to outside temp, to reduce cooling times of telescopes.

i don’t know if I’m overthinking all this and a decent shed and covers/cases will suffice 😂 

• Like 1

Yes,  overthinking..... they call it analysis paralysis...

that's why I just built it otherwise it would have remained a project  'to be done'...sometime..??

In terms of water-tight-ness. The roof of mine is about an inch wider than the walls on the non-door sides. I have left a gap to allow vapour to exit.

Yes, very good point about scopes being at ambient temp.  Yes, this saves time when the clouds do eventually clear!!

You are wise to think on a future-proof basis. This hobby just lends it self to expansion.  This picture shows you my store-shed, next to my mount-shed....Houston we have a problem, shedmania !!!! which does have a bench in it for collimating etc..

IMG_8630.thumb.JPG.27daa61643c8927d691accb6a6daf47e.JPG

Good luck with the build.   

Sean.

I keep my tripod and mount in a brick built flat roofed shed- single skin of bricks on a thick concrete base- the step up into the shed is at least 6 inches. Think 1960'2- 70's coal shed repurposed. Wooden door with a gap underneath it (another door next to it which I don't use as the work bench is in the way). It was a 2 'room' shed when we moved in but I demolished the seperating wall.

I have never had condensation on my kit inside when I have gone to get it out. There is a small chest freezer in the shed so I don't know if this helps raise the temperature slightly.

I suspect a wooden structure would be more prone to higher humidity but I could be wrong. If you are thinking about a workshop, why not look at some of the more robust summer house type buildings?

If you can afford it Asgard steel high security sheds are ideal. 5 point locking on the door and high security lock. Built in ventilation system. Mine never gets any condensation inside. Police and insurance rated.

Only downside is the cost. ££££

15A5C891-0A01-45F3-8735-F0B29E96C434.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice everyone! Managed to find a good shed 2nd hand which looks like it’ll do the job well, and for about 1/4 of the price from new!! 

will still make sure I will buy covers and cases for extra protection, but will take some pictures once it is assembled! 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Going to revive my old topic as it’s finally here! The shed is finished and my equipment is in. Very exciting for me having my own little pad and I can now observe in an area that has a much larger view of the sky. Can’t wait to get my new APM 100° 20mm EP in and get some serious deep space viewing on.

The ventilation seems to be good as there’s no trapped moisture In the shed.. apart from in the tube of the dob. There’s been some dew on them for I imagine a few days now, hopefully it’s nothing to be too worried about and it will be fixed shortly. 

DB40BE27-D177-4CCC-AC39-8F02AA7DA6BF.jpeg

AE4441A3-DA5B-4FF9-9DDE-16B05E44823D.jpeg

90EE571E-77BE-4072-BAD5-D2FA4C83B487.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 09/07/2020 at 23:18, johninderby said:

If you can afford it Asgard steel high security sheds are ideal. 5 point locking on the door and high security lock. Built in ventilation system. Mine never gets any condensation inside. Police and insurance rated.

Only downside is the cost. ££££

15A5C891-0A01-45F3-8735-F0B29E96C434.jpeg

I  have one of those, great sheds, lasted for years with no sign of rust etc.

Only trouble is mine is full of junk now, perhaps I should clear it out (again) 😉