Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Probably A Common FirstPost

Sax6M

New user wants to "roll his own". 

I found this site after several hours searching for the right parts sources.  I want to build a  12 inch "skeleton" dobsonian.  I could also see building a tube style rig.  It seems like one of the advantages of the skeleton unit is its construction makes it best suited to being kept outside.  I want to grind my mirror as a means to save money.  I think I can get glass from a local glass store.  I watched the Dobson video.  How have you gotten it done?  What did you use to get the grinding and polishing done?  

Since this is my first build, I am looking to avoid reinventing the wheel.  I would rather borrow yours and adapt it as needed.  Lessons learned and how you would advise yourself knowing what you know now are welcome,no, coveted.

The inspiration is to expand my granddaughters' apprehension of God's Creation.  I think once they see Jupiter's rings or the craters of the Moon, they will nevelr look at a night sky the same way.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sax6M said:

The inspiration is to expand my granddaughters' apprehension of God's Creation.  I think once they see Jupiter's rings or the craters of the Moon, they will nevelr look at a night sky the same way.

No need to wait until you build your scope, hand her a pair of binoculars and see what she can see on the moon, also, if only building for your granddaughter she might get on better with a small tabletop Dobsonian, which may well be sufficient to see rings around Saturn and moons around Jupiter and could come in around £100 second-hand - could you build for less?  You would also have a solution for her far quicker.  You could always sell it once you have your own larger model.  For that matter you can buy a brand-new 200P for £289 or many decent scopes for less than that second-hand.  It just sounds a rather long-term project for a first telescope when you could both be enjoying the sky a whole lot sooner with an off-the-shelf solution that would be guaranteed to work and get finished!  Just a thought 😄 

• Like 1

I hummed and aahhed for many years about making my own - even bought the blanks and an oil drum to work on... The standard 'how to' books on this are old but still valid - "Amateur Telescope Making" in 3 volumes. 

Many decades ago people used to build their own telescopes because telescopes were relatively expensive. In fact as a teenager I reworked a 4" reflector, refiguring the mirror and building a new tube and mount, and then built an 8" fork mounted newtonian from scratch, including grinding and figuring the mirror and constructing the mount. 

I would not dream of doing that today, when telescopes are so much cheaper to buy compared with average earnings, and many secondhand instruments are available.  Nowadays IMHO the only reason to build your own telescope is because you want to have a hands-on project - and that is a perfectly valid reason.

Yes, as I understand it making your own actually costs a fair bit more than buying ready made.  OTOH I have never got round to building my own (only looked into it a bit).  There are several members who build their own and they will be able to tell you the costs.