NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher tube ring/dovetail bolts?

Hi

Can someone tell me which bolts are needed to fit a second dovetail to the top of a Skywatcher 130PDS. I have a second dovetail which has 4 smaller Allen bolts in the ends but what size are the ones in the middle that attach the to the tube ring. From what I can fathom they are M6 bolts but I want to make sure I get the correct ones/size etc.

Hope the image helps explain it. TIA

Untitled.png

Edited by Jamgood

The answer will be whatever screw size you haven't got 🥺   Or you'll have the right thread but they will be too long, or too short, or the head is the wrong size for the countersink... or.... bitter, me??? :hippy2:

Generally they are 1/4-20 UNC

Helen

I'm pretty sure that the ones on top are 1/4". The camera mount attached to the rear ring in the picture uses a 1/4" screw up through the tube ring and though the knurled wheel. The front tube ring will be the same.

The threads in the centre of the dovetail bar (first picture) are definitely 1/4-20 UNC. I've used them to attach my camera to it.

It's the bolts in the second image I'm concerned for. I'm not sure if they also are 1/4-20 UNC or M6.  The holes at the end of the dovetail aren't threaded. I've emailed FLO, I'm sure they'll know the answer. Probably been asked a thousand times. 

I don't have the scope at hand to try any bolts as the Scope I received today is boxed up ready to go back. (Damaged item) I just want to get the bolts ready for when the replacement arrives so I can attach the second dovetail.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Appreciated. If anyone knows the answer for sure, shout it out 

20758.jpg

telescope_tube_rings.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 03/07/2020 at 18:54, Jamgood said:

I don't have the scope at hand to try any bolts as the Scope I received today is boxed up ready to go back. (Damaged item) I just want to get the bolts ready for when the replacement arrives so I can attach the second dovetail.

Did you manage to get to the bottom of this? What was the spec?

• 5 months later...
On 15/11/2022 at 10:00, AstroMuni said:

Did you manage to get to the bottom of this? What was the spec?

I just checked on my dovetail bar, which is identical and they are definitely 1/4"-20. M6 will only go in about one turn but my tripod screw goes in easily.

• 4 weeks later...