NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How do I get a sharp image of the moon?

Hi there

I am a real beginner. I recently bought a Sky-Watcher SkyMax-127 AZ GTi and a ZWO ASI 224MC USB 3.0 colour camera. When I use the wide angle eyepiece I can get a sharply focused image of the moon but when I switch in the camera (using a USB 2.0 socket on my laptop) I can't get the same sharp image on the screen in the ASICAP application, even after refocusing at the telescope.  I have attached a still I grabbed from the video I took. What am I doing wrong (if anything)?

Secondly, can I upgrade this equipment with a mount that will allow my telescope to 'follow' the moon and if so can you recommend a suitable mount?

Thanks 

John  

out of focus moon pic.png

You take a video (AVI) and then stack the best frames in AS!3 and then export the file to Registax to use the wavelets to sharpen. It's quite normal for the Moon to appear blurry and waver about when using a camera.

Peter

1 hour ago, JTTW said:

Secondly, can I upgrade this equipment with a mount that will allow my telescope to 'follow' the moon and if so can you recommend a suitable mount?

From looking at the specs of this mount on the internet, it suggests its a Go-To mount. This would mean you should be able to get it to slew to any object and track it too! The Synscan app should help with this. Or is there some other problem here that is not clear...

I'm a beginner as well with a different setup. This is an interesting video showing the difference of the live image and what can be achieved with stacking. (Skip to 1:11) I'm struggling my self and was a little disappointed with my attempts to get sharp images straight from a camera vs what I see through the eyepiece. Hope it gives you the encouragement to carry on.

ps.. Stacking images seems to take a lot of work and reading, I haven't achieved anything worthwhile yet but will keep going...

Synscan has two or three tracking modes.  Make sure you change to LUNAR from SIDEREAL tracking for moon shots.  Tracking still isn't going to be perfect on an Alt/Az mount, but it will be better with the right tracking.

Stacking may help, but that looks like simple focus.  It is normal for a camera to have a different focus point from a given optical lens.  However, if you cannot focus your camera somewhere between full focus-in to full focus-out, you may need an extension tube to move the camera farther out (always assuming the camera and telescope are a proper match and don't require some wacky adapter to begin with).  While it is normal for atmospherics to mess with moon clarity, you should be able to get a crisper image than the one shown.

Again all, thanks for your replies.

I read the Alt Az manual (as advised) and can't find any mention of tracking or EQ mode but I have found the tracking options now in Synscan, so I'll try the LUNAR option at the next opportunity. I'm using the camera in place of the eyepiece, maybe that's an issue and I need an extension tube as suggested. I'll try it. I'll also watch the video, thanks. This is all part of the fun of course. I won't give up.

Thanks

3 hours ago, JTTW said:

Again all, thanks for your replies.

I read the Alt Az manual (as advised) and can't find any mention of tracking or EQ mode but I have found the tracking options now in Synscan, so I'll try the LUNAR option at the next opportunity. I'm using the camera in place of the eyepiece, maybe that's an issue and I need an extension tube as suggested. I'll try it. I'll also watch the video, thanks. This is all part of the fun of course. I won't give up.

Thanks

This link might help you

Edited by AstroMuni