NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

BUYER BEWARE, EBAY SCAMMER

johngm

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

eBay now blocks any attempt to find out the sellers address to prevent someone from collecting the item and paying in cash then having the seller saying it wasn’t sold and not paying any eBay fees.

In the US, sellers generally cross-list on Craigslist hoping for a no-fee local sale and then cancel the ebay ad if sold on CL.  Sometimes, they'll suggest searching CL for the item to find their contact information outside of ebay if you're local to them and want to pay cash.

On another note, I opened a bank account specifically for Paypal to limit my exposure to fraud issues.  I opened it with $50 20 years ago, and due to refunds sometimes going into it instead of back onto my CC, and interest earned, I've got about $150 in it now.  Since CC companies pretty much cover all losses due to fraud, I only stand to lose up to $150 due to fraud using PP.

On 20/06/2020 at 11:32, johninderby said:

I vote for being hung, drawn and quartered.  Just need four horses and we’re set. 😁

I've got four thoroughbred's I can let you have. 60 quid all in. Delivery will be 5 quid. My eBay seller account: Propakosha

Smashing.

sddefault.jpg

Edited by steveex2003
  • Haha 1

On the subject of eBay and cash on collection. Absolutely you can. There is the option to accept cash on delivery. I have used this extensively for some fairly high-end hifi components. You can exchange pick-up details within the eBay messaging system, but only after the item has been purchased via end of auction or buy it now. Their system will block any messages containing phone numbers, emails or postal address prior to this. This protects their seller fees. You do gain in no Paypal fees are applied, but you lose all protection Paypal offers within the eBay ecosystem.
This is current. I have only sold high-ticket items via cash on collection, the most recent being this weekend.

On 21/06/2020 at 08:37, dweller25 said:

I gave up on Ebay and Paypal when someone got access to my credit card details - that only PP had - to steal £1500 from me.

I got it all back but it was worrying.

Someone hacked my wife's PayPal account recently (I don't have one and don't intend to either) to buy 2 bottles of champagne, fortunately she was able to get the money back, and has since closed her PayPal account.

Yet PayPal try to make out that its more secure than bank transfer. 

John  

4 minutes ago, johnturley said:

Someone hacked my wife's PayPal account recently (I don't have one and don't intend to either) to buy 2 bottles of champagne, fortunately she was able to get the money back, and has since closed her PayPal account.

Yet PayPal try to make out that its more secure than bank transfer. 

John  

I read this and immediately transfered a reasonable Paypal balance out. I was aware that accounts were hacked, but thought it nearly always a result of a services account linked to Paypal being hacked?

58 minutes ago, steveex2003 said:

On the subject of eBay and cash on collection. Absolutely you can. There is the option to accept cash on delivery. I have used this extensively for some fairly high-end hifi components. You can exchange pick-up details within the eBay messaging system, but only after the item has been purchased via end of auction or buy it now. Their system will block any messages containing phone numbers, emails or postal address prior to this. This protects their seller fees. You do gain in no Paypal fees are applied, but you lose all protection Paypal offers within the eBay ecosystem.
This is current. I have only sold high-ticket items via cash on collection, the most recent being this weekend.

Absolutely wrong and eBay will not encourage this, if you want to do it with your buyer or the person you are selling too, then it’s at your own risk, and eBay will not help at all if anything goes awry....trust me I found out the hard way....

There is an option for collection, absolutely, but there is no option whatsoever for cash on collection, sorry but you are wrong.... 👍

from the eBay site, like I said it’s at your own risk,  it you canot advertise COC as it’s not allowed by eBay and is discouraged...

In addition to PayPal or credit card, you can sometimes pay with an alternative payment method (as agreed with your seller) either beforehand, or when you pick up your item. Sellers may also accept cash for local collection purchases.

Items collected in person are still covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee if paid for with PayPal, however eBay Money Back Guarantee does not cover cash on collection transactions, or transactions where the item was not collected by the buyer.

Edited by Stuart1971

15 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Absolutely wrong and eBay will not allow this, if you want to do it with your buyer or the person you are selling too, then it’s at your own risk, and eBay will not help at all if anything goes awry....trust me I found out the hard way....

There is an option for collection, absolutely, but there is no option whatsoever for cash on collection, sorry but you are wrong.... 👍

Sorry for the low-fi photo, but here is the payment options for one of my current ads. Humbly, and clearly; receive payment on collection. As stated above, buyer and seller protection within Paypal is invalidated, obviously.
I had a discussion with an eBay representative about an issue related to cash on collection (or more specifically reclaiming a fee due to no-show), just this weekend past. It is very much permitted and has been the source of many of my sales, all of which contain the footnote paid in cash 

IMG_2446.JPG

Edited by steveex2003

2 hours ago, steveex2003 said:

Sorry for the low-fi photo, but here is the payment options for one of my current ads. Humbly, and clearly; receive payment on collection. As stated above, buyer and seller protection within Paypal is invalidated, obviously.
I had a discussion with an eBay representative about an issue related to cash on collection (or more specifically reclaiming a fee due to no-show), just this weekend past. It is very much permitted and has been the source of many of my sales, all of which contain the footnote paid in cash 

IMG_2446.JPG

Yes, correct you can pay on collection,  but via PayPal, that is what that means if agreed with buyer or seller....eBay will not promote the word cash anywhere, or endorse it as a way of paying....

I have just bought a bike, and when I collected I transferred the funds via PayPal at his house...simples... 😀😀

I am not saying you can’t Collect, It’s just you should use PayPal so you are both covered...

Edited by Stuart1971

Im not going to drag this out, but you should only take Paypal on collection via Friends and Family to which you void protection anyway. eBay themselves will advise you, if you take a Paypal services payment you have no recourse if the buyer then initiates a chargeback claiming he never collected the item having allegedly prepaid. No recourse!! You cannot prove otherwise. 
The forums are littered with this obvious scam.

Edited by steveex2003
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, steveex2003 said:

Im not going to drag this out, but you should only take Paypal on collection via Friends and Family to which you void protection anyway. eBay themselves will advise you, if you take a Paypal services payment you have no recourse if the buyer then initiates a chargeback claiming he never collected the item having allegedly prepaid. No recourse!! You cannot prove otherwise. 
The forums are littered with this obvious scam.

We will agree to completely disagree on this then...👍😀