Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing with binoculars

My main bino observing guide is James O'meara;s  book "Observing Night Sky with Binoculars"   Excellent it is , although I do find his  information on celestial mythology a  trifle distracting.  The book also supports the use of a small telescope which I use sometimes.   

I am not at all familiar with the contents of "Turn Left at Orion" but note that the the original publication was intended for the small scope user and which is still available via the 2nd hand book trade.  I have read such a lot of high praise about this book that I wondered  if it would be of any benefit to me. If anyone happens to own both books would they have  an opinion about this.

If you are looking for photographs of objects then apart from a couple of the moon this is not the book for you. Having said that I use this book (Turn left at Orion) together with Stellarium as my navigation guide.  I really like the view options for each object as it sets the orientation of the star patterns for finder scopes, reflectors and binoculars.  If I have guessed at your needs correctly you will not be disappointed with it.

Thanks for reply, Tomatobro,   No, not interested in photos of objects but otherwise  very helpful and particularly  regarding  use of finders, telescopes and binoculars.  I don't use  Stellarium though.......not yet !.  

Turn Left at Orion does indicate whether a target is visible in either moderate telescopes or binoculars, so would be a useful reference... I’ve certainly found it so, and I started with binoculars and still use mine too.

You might also like this: http://carolrpt.com/astroguidev9complete.pdf

A Simple Guide to Backyard Astronomy Using Binoculars or a Small Telescope
Assembled by Carol Beigel

Discusses 'How to Find Things in the Sky, Charts, Books, Gizmos, Binoculars for Astronomy, Telescopes for Backyard Astronomy, Star Charts, List of 93 best objects in the Sky with charts, Good Binocular Objects, Charts to Get Oriented in the Sky and the Messier Objects'

Thanks bryand and Ruud,  I have just been looking on line and I just  had no idea that there were so many  books available  in this particular field of observing .....a case of being spoilt for choice I think.