Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newtonian primary mirror locking bolts

Hi everyone

I refer to the screws that you're supposed to tighten to 'fix' the mirror after you have adjusted the main collimation -the ones with springs- screws.

I've had nothing but trouble using them; anything other than a light touch and they'll de-collimate the main mirror.

My solution has been to fit springs to them but retain the bolt -loosely fitted- to retain the spring. That and fit stronger springs to the collimation adjusters.

Anyone using them? Your secret?

Cheers

Hi I did the same to my skywatcher 150/750  I fitted springs , the Orion Optics 200/1200 has big Allan bolts to lock the mirror but as I collimate when telescope has cooled down just before I use it I don't lock it in place the Collimation bolts have springs so they do hold it a bit  but if I go more than finger tight it moves Collimation 

I use the locking bolts as part of the collimation process. After adjusting the collimation screws I tighten the locking bolts and do the another collimation using the locking bolts. My scope stays in collimation for ages this way withoit having to readjust.