NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1A blocking filter first light <filaprom teaser> 6/11/20

Kitsunegari

611.gif.13ea4f3a63fadf0ce3c512f08e8b94d3.gif

Good news!  The 1 angstrom blocking filter testing has begun.  Although I have some sag in my new extensions that is visible in the bottom portion  my second image,  the first light is clearly superior to the standard coronado blocking filter.

This was a short session to get everything in order, i was bombarded by 40mph gusts and lots of clouds.

I used this visually and the filaprom was simply stunning, the contrast over the limb was awesome.      I will have more testing done as soon as i can but my first impression is probably the best it can be. This filter is superior to my 5mm coronado blocking filter and 15mm blocking filter.;   

I do not own a lunt blocking filter,  but i have no reason to beleive their 8 angstrom filter will outperform this along the limb.    I will post a direct comparison to the coronado blockers as soon as i can.  I will also try this with a couple different etalons.  Particularly an SMII 40mm and lunt ls50c.

I have to purchase some better extensions to get the slop out of my full disc, and probably the camera tilter to eliminate the newton rings;  However this optic is a winner right out of the box.  I am very anxious to image at high magnification.

IF anybody knows how to fix my flats problem with autostakkert, i am all ears!  I have tried 10,000 frames with a translucent grocery bag but this still has not removed my dust spots.  I believe they are on the imx174 camera sensor and i do not really want to risk damaging it by wiping it down.

127mm x 1200mm telescope + pst etalon + 10mm x 10mm  1 angstrom blocking filter supplied and mounted by Apollo Lasky

First image is from the 600fps sony imx287 sensor    https://www.baslerweb.com/en/products/cameras/area-scan-cameras/ace/aca720-520um/

second image is from the 160fps sony imx 174 sensor.  https://www.baslerweb.com/en/products/cameras/area-scan-cameras/ace/aca1920-155um/

528128379_1Abf.jpg.13c208852132399e84cd719286beff65.jpg

1088318445_1Abffd.thumb.jpg.57b4aa89e5b345103b81b4930f4c2601.jpg

49990371838_3eb6afc5f4_b.jpg

49990371823_2d5e32dbec_b.jpg

49991138217_694abd8f09_b.jpg

49990371833_1d84ff34f3_b.jpg

Edited by Kitsunegari
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, Kitsunegari said:

I believe they are on the imx174 camera sensor and i do not really want to risk damaging it by wiping it down.

Don't worry, it's not that fragile. I recommend one of those optics cleaning microfibre cloths - sweep the sensor (or the window glass if your camera has one) with minimal pressure (since we just want to catch the specks, not "scrape away a stain") a few times, that should do it. Also, when changing cameras / attaching C-mount lenses etc., minimize the time the sensor is exposed - have a cover ready and reattach it immediately.

• Like 1

I have also found that I can't remove the dust bunnies from my ASI174 and flats don't work that well either. However I dropped my camera the other week on the floor with much cursing but the bunny shifted and is gone! hooray! however I don't recommend dropping your camera deliberately. The dust is on the inside and can't be blown away and I find it the most irritating camera I have ever owned. A friend had success by using an anti static gun for use on records (do you remember them) and it helped it to unstick off the window.

Alexandra

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Montana said:

I have also found that I can't remove the dust bunnies from my ASI174 and flats don't work that well either. However I dropped my camera the other week on the floor with much cursing but the bunny shifted and is gone! hooray! however I don't recommend dropping your camera deliberately. The dust is on the inside and can't be blown away and I find it the most irritating camera I have ever owned. A friend had success by using an anti static gun for use on records (do you remember them) and it helped it to unstick off the window.

Alexandra

If you mean on the inside between the chip and underside of the window, just unscrew the top to expose the chip and give it a blow/clean.

• 2 weeks later...