NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

6mm eyepiece

When I purchased my Celestron Evolution 6 I purchased the CELESTRON Optics Accessories AstroMaster Telescope Accessory Kit with it. Comes with a 6mm Plossl eyepiece.

I find the 6mm very hard to use. I find it very hard to hold my eye in the correct place over the very small lens (6mm duh!) and my forehead often hits the OTA. And I just can't get a camera to work with it at all. Using a projection tube and Canon EOS doesn't seem to work and an iPhone mount over it never seems to be angled right.

Are these just the standard peculiarites of using such a small lens? Or are there better options available?

Edited by AusS2000

I think it is a mixture of inexperience and the tight eye relief,

when I started I had similar eyepieces and struggled, bought differing designs and was ok until I found I was observing more than just looking..... then I learned to use short eye relief eyepieces and enjoy them very much indeed.

Its a journey, no simple single one but an ongoing one, learning every time.

I don't get one with plossl's either.

Are you wearing glasses to view? It's near impossible to do so with a 6mm plossl and make it an enjoyable experience.

Anyway, as mentioned about the lack of eye relief in them does nothing to help either with or without.

A good option at not budget breaking is an eyepiece with decent eye relief, these X-Cel are worth considering.  I have used these in a C8 before and found the views both easy to achieve and very good.

Steve