NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Beginner AP setup

Hello all, 

I'm looking to get the SW Star adventurer mount + SW Evostar 72ED OTA

Any suggestions on a budget DSLR for this?

would I need a body only or a lens as well? 

thanks! :)

Edited by Kenboy

You're going to need the field flattener also....most people are using canon dslr's for astrophotography by the looks of it...even better if you can find one that's been modified for astro work.

Edited by Skinnypuppy71

If you want to keep everything portable and self contained then go for a used Canon 600D from WEX or MPB photographic or look at the classifieds if you want an astro modded one although yo can do plenty without a modded camera.

Alan

• Like 1

Cheapastrophotography cameras you get astro moddified cameras at a good price,  then an adapter to connect to a field flattener to your camera(as well the field flattener) or just get a lens  (A cheap nifty fifty) or just buy a CMOS camera and your telescope will be your lens.

Also have a look at astrobackyards Review about the Star adventurer-pro on you tube may help you to decide.

Thanks for the replies! 

So i'll need:

SW Star adventurer mount + SW Evostar 72ED OTA + Canon 4000D camera body + field flattener 

The field flattener is £185 !? - can I do without it initially??

22 minutes ago, Kenboy said:

Thanks for the replies! 

So i'll need:

SW Star adventurer mount + SW Evostar 72ED OTA + Canon 4000D camera body + field flattener 

4000D ?  yes you will be fine starting without the flattener save you tearing your hair out trying to get spacing just right 😁

Dave

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

4000D ?  yes you will be fine starting without the flattener save you tearing your hair out trying to get spacing just right 😁

Dave

Then try a William optics apo with one of there adjustable field flatteners....no need for spacers....oh but the price of it ££££.lol.

16 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Dave

ah ok thx 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-4000D-Camera-18-55-3-5-5-6/dp/B07B199R4Y/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=canon%2Bdslr&qid=1591135656&s=electronics&sr=1-3&th=1 

this not ideal? what DSLR body would you recommend then, I don't want to spend too much on it 

11 hours ago, Kenboy said:

Thanks for the replies! 

So i'll need:

Get the OVL field flattener instead. It's about £75 I think. I have read a few threads on here of people who use the OVL, 72ed and star adventurer combo. Although getting hold of a OVL is a bit hard at the moment. I ordered one three weeks ago and the estimated delivery is July!!

And as for being able to do without it, I don't think that is possible unless you have means to create the same space it occupies by using an extension of some sort. I have that exact same setup but cannot achieve focus without the flattener or some sort of extension (I have some extension tubes but not the correct length) hence why I am waiting for the OVL Flattener.

Edited by Chefgage