Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tracking frustration

Hi,

I recently purchased a Celestron NextStar Evolution 8 HD as my first telescope and I am having such a difficult time getting the tracking to work. I perform the manual tracking using starsense and at first the scope slews to the object I select from the handheld. And then I watch helplessly as the object drifts away. The scope does not track!! I have selected "Sideral" tracking via the handheld. 

I get no response from Celestron's technical support. I'd be so grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.    

Thanks

Harry 

Make sure the mount is level. I used to have Nexstar se and would get much better tracking with a fully level mount. Put the tripod out first, level it up with a small spirit level, then attach the top unit and try again. If the starsense does its thing after that you should hopefully get better tracking.

1 hour ago, bottletopburly said:

Have you polar aligned your mount ?

There is no polar alignment with the evolution mount. 

once starsense has done its automated  3 star alignment Routine You just need to centre the final object in the eyepiece and “align”. You only need to do this the first time you use it. Are you using handset or the SkyPortal app?

1 hour ago, bottletopburly said:

Have you polar aligned your mount ?

The Evolution is an alt-az mount, so polar alignment is not required.

4 hours ago, harr said:

Hi,

I recently purchased a Celestron NextStar Evolution 8 HD as my first telescope and I am having such a difficult time getting the tracking to work. I perform the manual tracking using starsense and at first the scope slews to the object I select from the handheld. And then I watch helplessly as the object drifts away. The scope does not track!! I have selected "Sideral" tracking via the handheld. 

I get no response from Celestron's technical support. I'd be so grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.    

Thanks

Harry 

Have you checked that tracking is really turned on in the handset (you scrolled to sidereal and hit the enter button)

Is your correct location set (if you are using skyportal to control the telescope, this will be set from your tablet/phone).

What happens if you do an auto-align with starsense? Have you calibrated the starsense after attaching to the telescope?

Are the mount clutches firmly engaged?

Edited by Shimrod

Hi, thanks for all your responses. I am using the handset. I have a shielded view and so have to manual align, using three different points. I have set the date, the time and the location. Also I have set the scope to zero degrees before starting the alignment process.  The GOTO function then works but there is NO movement from the mount whatsever and consequently what I am looking at drifts out of the eyepiece.   Should I try to flash  the scope with the latest firmware?

I would not do a firmware update yet.

Try doing a factory reset by holding the 0 key while you power up, and start all over again.

You can also reset the StarSense camera from the HC menu.

Edit:  Have you Calibrated the StarSense to the scope?

Edited by Mick H

I have a poor view in my back garden but when the starsense tried to photograph the back of a house it just moves.

Can you try the app? It worked great for me (once I removed the starsense lens cap) Was about as simple as it gets hence me buying it.

• Haha 1