Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What kind of trail is this?

It is definitely an aircraft trail.

You have the port and starboard navigation lights with a white strobe light, (hence the gap in between), on the wingtips. The yellow one in the middle is the anti-collision light; (top and underside of the fuselage); (they are/appear as red or white strobe light at ground level), and are used when an aircraft is in the aircraft maneuvering area or on a gate/stand of an airfield prior to push-back, etc; so that ground staff are made aware that the aircraft engine(s) are due to startup or are running; or when the aircraft is in flight.  

Edited by Philip R
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, AstroExploring said:

I’m used to having trails in my images but this one seems particularly odd with the short red and yellow lines in the middle! Anybody know what it is? 

2AB61A4E-71F0-445C-BF63-E92F3EF23387.jpeg

Just wanted to ask what are you imagining? Looks nebulous.

Marv

6 minutes ago, KevS said:

Noticed that SpaceX had navigation lights, can't be a lot to bump into but I suppose it's an indication of orientation. 

In a nut shell... yes!

It does happen and sometimes gets reported. Just things like tools and other small FOD; (foreign object debris); cause a bigger dent or headache for those onboard a manned spacecraft/space-station or those in the flight control centre. 

33 minutes ago, Philip R said:

It is definitely an aircraft trail.

You have the port and starboard navigation lights with a white strobe light, (hence the gap in between), on the wingtips. The yellow one in the middle is the anti-collision light; (top and underside of the fuselage); (they are/appear as red or white strobe light at ground level), and are used when an aircraft is in the aircraft maneuvering area or on a gate/stand of an airfield; so that ground staff are made aware that the aircraft engine(s) are due to startup or are running; or when the aircraft is in flight.  

Ah brilliant thanks so much! I knew it would be either plane or satellite I just hadn’t had a trail look that strange before. 

22 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Just wanted to ask what are you imagining? Looks nebulous.

Marv

You are correct. IC1318 Butterfly Nebula, the bright star at the top is Sadr 🙂

• Like 1