NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

International Space Station, MOON & Clifton Suspension Bridge

Hi Peops

I hope that you dont mind, but i posted this thread mistakeingly in the general photography section, not realizing that this section is more suitable,

anyhow, i have improved this image a little since then.

Hi Guys and Gals, the great and the good! I do hope as ever that you are all keeping well.

So using stallarium, I planned this image of the International space station trail, moon and clifton suspension bridge. its not the best composition, but i am reasonably pleased with this heavily photoshopped effort.

20 seconds, F2.8 and 80asa.

I do hope that you like and as ever, comments welcome, good or bad!

cheers

bob

DSC01162 amended 5 with border.jpg

• Like 8

I'm still close enough to a point and click photographer to not offer any advice.

But I do like the image. What more could you ask for? A beautiful bridge, a space station and the Moon!

Edited by maw lod qan

7 minutes ago, cloudbuster said:

Hi guys and gals 

I'm not sure about my picture but it would be nice for a few pointers. Please don't worry about offending me as I just want to know where I am going wrong. 

Cheers 

Bob 

Hi Bob, nothing wrong with that it’s a nice image. The Moons over exposed of course but it’s difficult, (I won’t say impossible) to better expose it and everything else at the same time, in one image anyway. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maw lod qan said:

I'm still close enough to a point and click photographer to not offer any advice.

But I do like the image. What more could you ask for? A beautiful bridge, a space station and the Moon!

Thanks mate......it's just that I crave pointers in order to help me improve

Cheers

Bob

17 minutes ago, Scooot said:

Hi Bob, nothing wrong with that it’s a nice image. The Moons over exposed of course but it’s difficult, (I won’t say impossible) to better expose it and everything else at the same time, in one image anyway. 

Thanks Richard much appreciate d

I’d be very pleased with that photograph. OK it’s got some exposure issues but then it’s three tricky subjects requiring a compromise on exposure. What it got though is interest.   Nicely composed too. Must have taken quite a bit of planning. Whenever I try and plan a photo like this I usually find the celestial object doesn’t oblige by being in the right place with respect to the terrestrial object. 🙂 

• Like 1

Maybe could try a HDR composite with long exposure for ISS and shorter for moon and bridge? You've already got the long exposure for ISS so could go back to the same spot next month at same time with moon in same position and grab a shorter exposure?

• Like 2

I'll echo the HDR comment - this is a perfect use case for a long exposure to capture ISS combined with a short exposure to get the detail in the moon and bridge. It's a lovely bridge - I was involved in running new fibre optic cables across it a few years ago, the trust were very cautious and rightly so!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, discardedastro said:

I'll echo the HDR comment - this is a perfect use case for a long exposure to capture ISS combined with a short exposure to get the detail in the moon and bridge. It's a lovely bridge - I was involved in running new fibre optic cables across it a few years ago, the trust were very cautious and rightly so!

Yes hdr sounds good. The thing is that the trail of the space station was not as bright as I had hoped. The next night was brighter but had to use a shorter exposure as the sky was too bright at 10 pm....