NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I used one a few years ago and IIRC the adaptor just sits on top of the tripod, and a supplied m12 to m10 thread adaptor goes on the end of the central tripod bolt. The mount then tightens down onto the tripod+adaptor in the normal way, with the screw tension from the central bolt keeping everything in place. 

You will need to remove the north pin from the tripod and add it to the adaptor, (cant remember if the adaptor comes with a north pin or you reuse the one from tripod)

IIRC the adaptor comes with a big black bolt and I dont think I ever figured out what that was for! 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The big black bolt fits into the hole opposite where you screwed the north peg in and bolts the adapter down on to the tripod.

Ah I used the adaptor on an EQ6 fit Berlebach planet which didnt have a hole opposite the pin... and hence my confusion!

10 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I have bought a Supposedly EQ6 tripod got no centre bolt or north pin I thought it was a Celestron advanced vx tripod but the Rother valley have said its a old EQ6

TBH if you cant get hold of a central bolt it's useless. You could try ebay for m12 bolts with a hand knob, but if you're doing that you could just buy an M10 bolt with hand knob and do away with the adaptor as the whole purpose of the geoptik adapter is to allow the use of a m12 to m10 thread converter.

For a north pin just use any bit of stud that fits (m10?), put a nut on it to hold it fast and file the edges square

Edited by CraigT82
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

These bolts dont fit anywhere on this mount

The bigger one is the m12 to m10 thread convertor. That would go on the top of the central bolt if you had one. 

The other one is used to secure the adaptor to the tripod as long as there is a corresponding hole in the tripod top. It's not strictly necessary as I uses the adaptor perfectly fine without that bolt in.

• Thanks 1

The spreader is easy to find however the M12 centre bolt is very elusive. Needed one recently gave up after looking for weeks and made one myself. You can buy a suitable M12 knob and screw but need to have the thread removed along part of the length. Wpuld be simpler to just get a suitable length M10 knob and bolt. A stock length M10 bolt will probably be too short as the Geoptic adapter raises the mount a bot.

Hete’s an M12 one I made.

E10D1488-77BA-4AB9-A982-4A89B82F8EAF.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

6 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The spreader is easy to find however the centre bolt is very elusive. Needed one recently gave up after looking for weeks and made one myself. You can buy a suitable M12 knob and screw but need to have the thread removed along part of the length. Wpuld be simpler to just get a suitable length M10 knob and bolt.

Hete’s an M12 one I made.

E10D1488-77BA-4AB9-A982-4A89B82F8EAF.jpeg

I have the spreader plate, I have got a length of m10 stud bar I could use that but need knobs, did you just get a piece of M12 stud then rethread the bottom to m10 and how long is that bolt going need it go through the spreader clamp up to that go through the tripod adaptor into the mount. 

I think the simplest way for you is just to use a length of M10 and some nylon spacers. Not sure of the length but you can simply thread the rod into the bottom of the mount and see how long it needs to be. M10 knobs and spacers can be found on eBay or Amazon. 

Just realised the bolt I showed is not for use with the stock spreader. 🤦🏻‍♂️

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcing-map-Handle-Diameter-Insert/dp/B07K44XQW9/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=M10+knobs&qid=1590268750&quartzVehicle=3625-1921&replacementKeywords=knobs&rnid=419157031&sr=8-9

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Nylon-Spacer-30mm-Long/dp/B01CL2L90Y/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=M10+spacers&qid=1590268629&quartzVehicle=3625-1921&replacementKeywords=spacers&sr=8-9

604CF2B5-240A-4550-A23B-33F7D8F530A3.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

That's brilliant John I've already got the m10 stud bar so just need the knobs and spacers. 

I can make a North pin out of a bolt and nut and file the sides flat. 

Now just need drill and tap something I've only done once in a electrical installation test using tube to shield the cables but that was on the outside with a vice something I can not use with the head of the tripod. 

I will work it out though I may be lucky and don't have to sell or buy anything else to do with this bl***y tripod. 

Thank you everyone when I do it I will post the finished article. 

12 hours ago, johninderby said:

Brilliant 33mm length should do just have measure the hole now.

Thanks John appreciate that.

14 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The upper knob will need locking into place. Some threadlock should do or a locknut either side of the knob or better yet both. 

I've got thread lock going send for some knobs spacers and hex coupling. 

I've got a tap an die set so that's easy will only need do one hole to clamp the adapter down and one for the North pin. 

5 minutes ago, Phil Fargaze said:

I’m a bit of an ‘offcut magpie’ at work so if you are stuck for any odd bits of metal, just let me know and I’ll see if I can help. 

That's very kind of you if I do I will let you know thank you very much. 

• Like 1