NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello Telescope

Hi, there is this Helio telescope up for £50on a local selling page. The model is unknown And the listing says 80mm x 400mm with sighting scope. I will attach an image of it. I’m a complete beginner but I study physics and so it’s something I would like to get into. I don’t mind paying more if I’d be better off to but from what I’ve read Helio seems good and it’s a good price. Thanks!

56765415-B9ED-47B7-8960-B99FD6C83C66.png

792EEFF3-12B9-4BA5-AE29-C11DC26132B8.png

I don’t think you can really go wrong at that price, the scope is decent. The mount is just as, if not more important and this is an EQ1 equatorial mount which is not very stable and can be quite cumbersome and confusing to use to find objects, the plus side being that once roughly polar aligned you can track objects using the slo mo cables. 
If , as a beginner, you want to make life easier, look at a dobsonian mounted 150mm reflector or similar, they are not massively priced and you will get more out of it, more appature and an easier mount to use

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LivK said:

The model is unknown

This is now sold as the Skywatcher Startravel 80 (ST80). Assuming that the telescope and mount is in good condition, £50 is a good price and you should easily be able to get your £50 back should you decide to sell it in the future. This would make it an ideal test scope to see if you you enjoy astronomy and what you need from a scope. As far as I can see, all the parts are there, just check that the diagonal can be clamped in the focuser properly if/when you go to get it.

With regards to the telescope, it is an 80mm f5 achromatic refractor. 80mm is probably about as small an aperture as you want to go and so this is the sort of thing that is generally bought as a first scope, and then kept as a "grab and go" scope when there is a quick break in the clouds and you don't want to go to the effort of getting a bigger scope out. It would also make a decent travel scope, although perhaps on a mount that doesn't require counterweights. As the ST80 is a fast achromat, there will be blue halos around brighter objects, and so it is going to be best suited for low magnification star field sweeping, rather than high powered lunar and planetary views.

28 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Hello Liv and welcome to the Lounge.

I foumd this review online which sounds quite positive, a very good starter scope by the sound of it.

ST80_review.php

Is this the review you mean Geoff?

ST80 Review

• Like 2

Ahh thank you, so I’ve had a look at other model suggested and all the advice, at £50 I think I’ll get it as a good starting point. It’s in great condition too so seems a good bargain. I’ve seen a lot about the stand but I can always invest once I’ve been at it for a while and know a bit more, thank you! 😊

• Like 1

at £50 you can't really go wrong if it's all there and in good order which it seems to be. Heck if it was near me I'd likely snap it up for a grab n go!

Once you have it there are many videos on youtube on how to set p the EQ mount and use the scope as well as many here who will provide guidance. You may want to consider upgrading the eyepieces later on but meantime just use what it has as you learn how to use it and decide if this hobby is something you want to invest more into. Welcome to the club by the way 🙂 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

at £50 you can't really go wrong if it's all there and in good order which it seems to be. Heck if it was near me I'd likely snap it up for a grab n go!

Once you have it there are many videos on youtube on how to set p the EQ mount and use the scope as well as many here who will provide guidance. You may want to consider upgrading the eyepieces later on but meantime just use what it has as you learn how to use it and decide if this hobby is something you want to invest more into. Welcome to the club by the way 🙂 

Haha yes I am seeing people say this so I made a swift decision to get it whilst available. I’m hoping it’s not too difficult to get going with but I know I will definitely be back to ask more questions. Thank you!! 😊

I’ve only just realised how to quote someone so sorry to the first messages I didn’t directly respond to but thank you, everything said has really helped 🪐💫

cool, good luck and enjoy :)

If you get it before this evening and point it west when the sun has dropped out of sight, you may be able to pick out Venus and Mercury perhaps around 21:00-21:30. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveL59 said:

cool, good luck and enjoy :)

If you get it before this evening and point it west when the sun has dropped out of sight, you may be able to pick out Venus and Mercury perhaps around 21:00-21:30. 

Ooo thank you, I’m still waiting for a response from the seller 😢

52 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Just so we know @LivK, is that you on the right??? :) 

The picture has changed with linking to my Twitter so I couldn’t tell you, current one yes right

2 minutes ago, LivK said:

Ooo thank you, I’m still waiting for a response from the seller 😢

Fingers crossed, there's always tomorrow evening too :) 
Worth setting it up in daylight and have a play so you get familiar with how the scope is moved on the mount before you try using it in the dark, just be careful of the sun's position as you do, you don't want to be looking at that star unless you have a proper solar filter.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Fingers crossed, there's always tomorrow evening too :) 
Worth setting it up in daylight and have a play so you get familiar with how the scope is moved on the mount before you try using it in the dark, just be careful of the sun's position as you do, you don't want to be looking at that star unless you have a proper solar filter.

Thank you, it’s seem it has somehow sold so look like it might be a while until I can get going 😢 thanks for all the help though, I’ll have to have a look at other options 

oh no! 😢

Was a bargain at that price too. You could always try getting a pair of binoculars in the meantime while you shop. Or take a look at one of these which is well regarded
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

it's a bit more bit a good starter scope, downside is it'll take a while to arrive.

• Like 1

I bought a second hand ST80 in my early days of astronomy and it still gets regular usage as a guide scope as I have moved to focus more on astrophotography. Not many bargains in astronomy, but this scope is one of them because it is so flexible.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

oh no! 😢

Was a bargain at that price too. You could always try getting a pair of binoculars in the meantime while you shop. Or take a look at one of these which is well regarded
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

it's a bit more bit a good starter scope, downside is it'll take a while to arrive.

Thanks, I’m going to finish off my uni work and get looking then hopefully join in the fun 🌟

yep, priorities in the right order :)

If you keep checking around another may turn up. First scope I was after was a TAL-1 and I thought we were getting somewhere then they went silent. He sold it to someone else and didn't bother to let me know. Did get one in the end tho and likely a better example from its original from new owner. 

When you're ready just pop back and ask before committing, you'll get good advice so you don't buy a dud...