Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starter camera to go with for <£200?

Looking to start out AP and been doing research but there’s so much information and camera options I don’t know what to get 😂 looking to spend £200 or under and 2nd hand. I’ve seen the Canon M100 looks pretty neat with matching specs to quite a few lower price DLSR’s. Has anyone got any experience with this camera? Or suggestions on another camera? 

cheers! 

I dont know much about the Canon M100 but provided it has bulb mode and a remote shutter connector it should work but the most often recommended starter cameras are the 450D which was the first model with liveview and the 600D because of its articulated view screen.

Recommended sites for used cameras are MPB photographic and WEX.

Alan

When you start just like me, and plan to use wireless controlling in the future, then search for a compatible camera.  Most of the brands have a list with compatible models.  For example the one attached for asiair

89D67B99-F431-4C14-8260-5DF59E9A4C11.jpeg

Thanks for getting back guys! Are there any Nikon cameras That could be considered as well, other any other standout canon?? Just want the most options available, so I don’t miss out on a bargain because I didn’t know about them.

I’m starting off with the moon and planets as I only have a 4” reflector (TAL-1 to be specific). I’m not going to try nebula/galaxies yet as I don’t have the knowledge or money yet but it’s definitely a goal someday. Any advice for moon/planets photography?? Should I be any filters?

I have two Mirrorless Canons: an M10 which has been converted to full-spectrum by removing the internal filters, and an M6 which is bog standard.  I like both of them: they are lighter and less bulky than a DSLR, and remember that the one part of a camera you don't need is the reflex viewfinder - we have telescopes for that!  The M6 is essentially a mirrorless 77D and should be available secondhand, especially as a Mk 2 version has been launched recently so the Mk 1 may be going cheap.

The moonshot below was taken with the M10:

s_bigmoon1.PNG

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bryand said:

I have two Mirrorless Canons: an M10 which has been converted to full-spectrum by removing the internal filters, and an M6 which is bog standard.  I like both of them: they are lighter and less bulky than a DSLR, and remember that the one part of a camera you don't need is the reflex viewfinder - we have telescopes for that!  The M6 is essentially a mirrorless 77D and should be available secondhand, especially as a Mk 2 version has been launched recently so the Mk 1 may be going cheap.

The moonshot below was taken with the M10:

s_bigmoon1.PNG

amazing photo! I was considering the m100 but apparently it doesn’t Support an intervarometer (is that how you spell it?), which I’ve read is a bit of a problem. Do you know if the M10 supports one? i also read that to mount a Mirrorless camera to a telescope you had to buy quite an expensive adaptor.. is this true??

On 10/05/2020 at 00:02, BS269 said:

... I also read that to mount a Mirrorless camera to a telescope you had to buy quite an expensive adaptor.. is this true??

No. The adaptor for a mirrorless camera should be no more expensive than for a DSLR.  You don't need any auto-exposure or auto-focus coupling since you have the telescope for that, so the adaptor can be a quite simple affair.

I'm in a similar position and hovering over the buy button on a second hand Canon 600D (which in the States I believe is known as the Rebel T3i). It seems to be well regarded by the big astro photographers online, even though it's now quite an old camera. Prices are around £160 depending on condition.

That's obviously a mirrored camera, rather than a mirrorless.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2020 at 01:02, BS269 said:

an expensive adaptor

Hi. I think you're thinking if the m to ef adapter so that you can use standard DSLR canon fit lenses.

For attaching to a telescope, this is all you need. (Sorry, only have the link in Spanish).

HTH