Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Case for Imaging rig

It's that long train off the back of the scope that had me worried trying to pack fully away in foam.  I was worried about any unnecessary movement on the focuser and trying to get that filter wheel etc snug each time while not bending something or snagging something.  You'd have be super careful it was sitting right each time and nothing was applying undue pressure on something.  I'm maybe being overly cautious though.

Edited by geeklee

10 minutes ago, geeklee said:

It's that long train off the back of the scope that had me worried trying to pack fully away in foam.  I was worried about any unnecessary movement on the focuser and trying to get that filter wheel etc snug each time while not bending something or snagging something.  You'd have be super careful it was sitting right each time and nothing was applying undue pressure on something.  I'm am maybe being overly cautious though.

Lee I would agree to be careful and I had the same thoughts.

For now the main intention is for storage in garage between sessions which due to the northern UK weather tend to be a few days apart at best. So the whole setup would come off the mount after a session and into the box and would not move very far until the next session so as long as the rig does not move then no real difference to it being on the mount. So one thought was to actually fix a cheap losmandy clamp into bottom of the box and use this to hold the rig in place. So current thoughts are that rather than have a box that is say 300 mm deep with a top lid the bottom of the box would be quite shallow so you are not trying to squeeze the whole setup into a box not much bigger than the rig but just placing it on the shallow bottom section and can secure it to that without having to feel around the scope with your hands to secure it. Then the lid is actually the bigger and deeper part of the box goes over this base and has secure clamps.

Transport in a car was merely a second possibility, but it is not often I take it far and if that seems it could cause damage then would look at disassembling to some extent and possibly using the case it came in.

I just have nightmares about picking this box up with the handle and all clamps not being fasten properly so it all tips out. S still working on the design if I go this way. I hope that describes what I am trying to do. I will try to do some sort of sketch.

I did also think of some other supports, probably made on my 3D printer that do support the FW and maybe the front of the dew shield that have some foam on them so they add a little extra support.

Steve

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

For now the main intention is for storage in garage between sessions which due to the northern UK weather tend to be a few days apart at best. So the whole setup would come off the mount after a session and into the box and would not move very far until the next session so as long as the rig does not move then no real difference to it being on the mount. So one thought was to actually fix a cheap losmandy clamp into bottom of the box and use this to hold the rig in place. So current thoughts are that rather than have a box that is say 300 mm deep with a top lid the bottom of the box would be quite shallow so you are not trying to squeeze the whole setup into a box not much bigger than the rig but just placing it on the shallow bottom section and can secure it to that without having to feel around the scope with your hands to secure it. Then the lid is actually the bigger and deeper part of the box goes over this base and has secure clamps.

Some good ideas there and I definitely have the same goal/approach.

There may be some more people pop up with tips and ideas.  I'm not sure if most non-obsy folk fully tear down each night or not.

• Thanks 1

i like the mount for it to float in the box idea if but it could rattle things loose if u was transporting to different  places. u could make a box  out of exterior grade ply 9mm should not take on moisture and it wont be to heavy and u could add casters on the bottom to help move about and line with foam

• Thanks 1

So my initial idea is like this for the lower part of the box, this is just a quick sketch and not finalised but gives you the idea.

image.png.e88a14716fa4d4eb4c7734807a8c0838.png

So the red bit is the clamp, the black stuff is soft foam and the brown is all 9 mm plywood (supports may be thicker).

Then with the scope:

image.png.0c5fe5300d5d5d6ce15fc72e88beaa8a.png

Steve

• Like 1

12 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

So my initial idea is like this for the lower part of the box, this is just a quick sketch and not finalised but gives you the idea.

Nicely put together so quickly and I like the accurate looking scope setup too - nice touch.

The only thing I still see as a potential challenge is that back portion where the filter wheel would rest on.  Getting that absolutely spot on so it doesn't create any undue pressure against the camera train looks tricky.  The foam lining in the "U" shape would take up some slack of course ... and this might do it.  I see a lot of digital calipers and sandpaper in your future 😉

I wonder if having the mid support, front support and then just a shaped foam block under a section at the back. Being all foam, there would be support but not too much resistance.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Nicely put together so quickly and I like the accurate looking scope setup too - nice touch.

The only thing I still see as a potential challenge is that back portion where the filter wheel would rest on.  Getting that absolutely spot on so it doesn't create any undue pressure against the camera train looks tricky.  The foam lining in the "U" shape would take up some slack of course ... and this might do it.  I see a lot of digital calipers and sandpaper in your future 😉

I wonder if having the mid support, front support and then just a shaped foam block under a section at the back. Being all foam, there would be support but not too much resistance.

Yes a good point.

On the mount all this is unsupported and just hangs off the scope and the rear train.

Yes, it is not doing any josstling about in that situation, as even at maximum slew it is relatively smooth and rams up and back down so no sudden acceleration or deceleration.  So if the foam just nicely squashes without any undue pressure on the FW I think for storage in garage in between sessions it will be fine  so long as I am gentle when moving the case.

For transport to another site then yes it may be risky and perhaps this may need to be removed, not ideal but safer and really that is not the major reason I want this. For the times I need to transport it then removing FW and camera and using the cases they came with is not a big issue. What worries me more and I have not decided on the final mechanism is how to secure the top to the base. I do not really want to rely on latches of any kind although they would work I am more worried I will for get to close one or more of them then attempt to pick it up.

Steve

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

What worries me more and I have not decided on the final mechanism is how to secure the top to the base. I do not really want to rely on latches of any kind although they would work I am more worried I will for get to close one or more of them then attempt to pick it up.

Assuming the clamp is tightened so the scope and gear is secure, you've got a nice lip on the rendering above - perhaps make that slightly bigger?  This should mean if it's picked up from either end, the top won't slide as the lip will stop it.  Picking it up another way or a steeper angle would of course introduce the worries you have.  

If you go down the route above and as you build something, it might be more obvious what you can do and you'll find the right balance for each scenario.

• Thanks 1