Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Hyperion Aspheric 36mm

Jiggy 67

Hi all, hope you are well 

so I’m using the money I’m currently saving as a result of the lockdown to upgrade my eyepieces and I have bought the Morpheus 4.5, 12.5 and 17.5mm so far. I have to say that, so far, I have found these to be outstanding eyepieces. The build quality is excellent with good accessories such as the adjustment ring to increase eye relief and the view which is crisp and contrasty, the best I have seen and an excellent wide fov. They are also dual size barrels which increases options. I intend to purchase the remaining focal lengths. 

Unfortunately they only go down to a 17.5mm so I need a low power equivalent. I have the Baader zoom which takes me to 24mm but I know the quality is not quite as good and the fov narrower so I am considering the Baader Hyperion Aaspheric 36mm.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/BaaderHypAsp-1.html

Has anyone got any experience of these?? What’s your opinion of them??.... I would like to stick with Baader as I haven’t been able to fault them yet (despite trying, I am quite fussy). Really I need to stick with 1.25” as my filters are that size but the dual size barrels does expand the options 

I had the Aspheric 36mm for a while. I was using it in an F/12 150mm refractor. It worked well with that scope but I noticed when I tried the eyepiece in my F/6.5 refractor that there was quite a lot of astigmatism in the outer field of view - rather too much I felt for the cost of the eyepiece.

Personally I think there are better 30-something mm choices available for that sort of price eg: the Aero ED 35mm.

The Aspherics are nowhere near as well corrected in faster scopes as the Morpheus is. You might well be disappointed.

• Thanks 1

Congratulations on your Morpheus purchases, they are superb eyepieces👍.

I personally don't think the Aspherics (they offer 2 focal lengths) are in the same league as the Morphs, but the performance will depend on your scope and it's focal length. If your scope is F8 or slower the Aspherics will be ok, a little soft at the edges, but if you have a shorter Dob F5 etc for instance, the view will likely break up more the further from the centre of the field you get.

I have a Revelation 42mm Superview which is quite cheap and works quite well in my Tak FS128, and IMO offers better value than the Aspherics. The Aero range are also very good value. If you have a bigger budget you have a good choice including APM, Televue, and Pentax (their 30mm and 40mm XWs 70 deg have been reissued).

I'm sure other members will chip in with additional suggestions 😉

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Typo
  • Thanks 1

I have the 36mm Baader Aspheric and quite pleased with it on the whole, not only is it a lot cheaper than the equivalent Nagler or ES 82 degree eyepieces, but much lighter at just 450g (for comparison the 31 mm Nagler and ES 30mm 82  weigh  around 1 and 1.4kg respectively), but smaller apparent field of view.

The edge definition is however not as good as with Naglers or ES 82's, and is particularly noticeable with my f5 Newtonian, but not so bad in my f7 Esprit, in which I can fit most of the Pleiades star cluster.  

John

Edited by johnturley

4 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Has anyone got any experience of these?? What’s your opinion of them??.... I would like to stick with Baader as I haven’t been able to fault them yet (despite trying, I am quite fussy). Really I need to stick with 1.25” as my filters are that size but the dual size barrels does expand the options 

Sorry I missed the bit about wanting to stick with 1.25in, there is no point in getting a 36mm Aspheric and then using it with supplied 1.25 in reducer, the resultant apparent field would only be around 45 degrees. Either the 24 mm Tele Vue Panoptic, or ES 68 degree eyepieces, give widest possible fields in 1.25 in, but not a massive gain over the 17.5 mm Morpheus. 

John

Edited by johnturley
  • Like 1

I've had the Baader 36mm and now own the 31mm for f5 and f4 dobs. They do have a bit of blur around the edges in fast scopes. I'm happy with the 31mm for what I use it for, mainly a finder ep, but if you are looking for a really high quality EP in this range that doesn't break the bank, the hot one to get apparently is the APM 30mm UFF (ultra flat field) for 199euro or c. £175. The 30mm APM is tested down to f4 and suitable for fast scopes.

I've currently three APM eyepieces - the 9mm, 13mm and 20mm 100deg XWAs. I would rate them against TV Ethos, having owned the 13mm and the 21mm) and I absolutely love them.

I have not used the 30mm APM, but the reviews I've read are all glowingly positive about this eyepiece. When I go to sell the Baader, it will be replaced with the 30mm UFF.

https://www.astroshop.eu/eyepieces/apm-eyepiece-ultra-flat-field-30mm-70d-2-/p,60560 

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Really I need to stick with 1.25” as my filters are that size but the dual size barrels does expand the options

I don't find myself using filters with my 2" eyepieces very often, if at all, so I wouldn't worry about that criterion very much.  I think I used to use a 2" OIII on the Veil Nebula with my 27mm Panoptic and my 15" Dob with a 1900mm focal length years ago, but that's about it.  For shorter focal length scopes, I mainly use 2" eyepieces for wide field star sweeping, viewing large open clusters, and for centering objects for viewing at higher powers.

I have the 35mm Aero ED, and it's pretty good for the weight and money.  It probably performs at least as well as the 36mm Aspheric for a lot less money.  The discontinued 35mm Baader Scopos Extreme was sharper, but narrower, far heavier, and now discontinued.

The 30mm APM Ultra Flat Field (UFF) is an excellent eyepiece all around.  It pairs well with the Delos and Morpheus lines as far as correction, field of view, and ease of viewing with eyeglasses.

• Like 1