Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Opticron Adventurer T WP 10x50 vs Olympus 10 x 50 DPS-1

Hi guys, 

So am about to buy my first pair of bins I was looking at Olympus  10 x 50 DPS-1 but noticed they didn't have "bak 4" and "multi coated lenses"  which the opticron adventurer t wp 10x50'S do.

I'm not sure how important all the specs really are. 

So just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with either of these? 

Thanks a lot for your time and help

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any experience with the Opticrons, but I bought the DPS1 10x50 as my first "proper" binocular (after dabbling with some free 7x50s) about a year ago. I find them Very good for the money, and after getting a few more bins since then they are still the ones I use most. If I remember correctly there's a 25 year warranty on them as well.

Amazon currently have them at a penny under £60. Hope that's of some help.

Andy

I've looked through the 8x40 Olympus DPS-1 and was surprised at just how good they were, but I believe that @BinocularSky rates the Opticrons as a better binocular, and if anyone knows about astronomical binoculars, it's him. Personally, i would also lean towards the Opticrons simply on the basis that they are a lighter binocular, and should be slightly easier to hand-hold for extended periods.

Late to the party as usual... 😀

@miguel87 @John88Where the Olys are concerned, don't be put off by lack of "BAK4" and "FMC", etc. - it's mostly advertising hype. I drone on in far more detail than you probably wanted to know about why here. (Also note: the best binoviewers on the planet use BK7, not BAK4 - or even BaK-4... less chromatic dispersion.)

Both The Oly and the T WP are good value and, unless you get a lemon (one way the price is kept down is minimal QC in the factory), you'd likely be happy with either.
Reasons I prefer the Opticron include:
* It's waterproof (that's the WP in the designation). That means dew will not enter it and help to corrode, encourage fungi, etc.
* Bigger "sweet spot"

* More eye relief (essential if anyone who will use it needs to wear glasses; the Oly's 12mm eye relief will be inadequate for many, if not most, spectacle-wearers)
* Better IPD range; the Oly's minimum of 60mm is too wide for some people with small faces or close-set eyes.
* Lighter

I've recommended it to tens of people; every one of them (so far) who has given feedback thinks it's a good recommendation.

I last had my paws on the Oly before I started doing reviews, but my review of the Opticron is here. (FWIW, the "ordinary" , ie. not "T WP" Adventurer is also reviewed there; I rate that as about equivalent to the Oly, so if you are deciding on a cheaper binocular, it's worth considering).

HTH

• Like 1

Just received my olympus DPS-1 10x50's in the post 😁

Obviously they have only been tested in daylight so far but wow! I know my last binoculars were poor and I cant compare to a 'proper' pair of Bino's because I have never had a proper pair before. BUT the image is sharp with lovely depth and the view seems enormous, very excited to try them out tonight.

For your info, my previous pair were cheap Bushnell bino's with 25mm primary lenses and 7-15x zoom. Not a great image at all.

Edited by miguel87
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent! They tend to get slagged off a bit by "internexperts" who read the specification but have never actually handled the binocular itself, but I think you'll find that they serve you for a long time.

On 10/05/2020 at 15:54, miguel87 said:

7-15x zoom.

There is no such thing as a decent zoom binocular. The end.

Edited by BinocularSky
  • Like 1

On 10/05/2020 at 15:54, miguel87 said:

Just received my olympus DPS-1 10x50's in the post 😁

Obviously they have only been tested in daylight so far but wow! I know my last binoculars were poor and I cant compare to a 'proper' pair of Bino's because I have never had a proper pair before. BUT the image is sharp with lovely depth and the view seems enormous, very excited to try them out tonight.

For your info, my previous pair were cheap Bushnell bino's with 25mm primary lenses and 7-15x zoom. Not a great image at all.

Exactly my reaction on receiving the Olympus binoculars. 😀

I've even taken to plane spotting to relieve the lockdown boredom. Air ambulances, police helicopters, RAF KC2 tankers, Globemasters, a C130J and A400, loads of high flying courier jets, a mysterious Vulcanair P68 'surveying' and even a Cessna towing a happy birthday banner!

The detail, sharpness and contrast are smashing.

• Like 1