Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M106 LRGB 20 hours - reworked 18/5/20

tooth_dr

30 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Looks good Doc.  I think I would try a iteration of SCNR green--for non PI'ers, remove a tiny bit of green--I get a slight cast in the galaxy body.  Other than that.....when do we leave?

Cheers Rodd. I’ll run HLVG on the galaxy.  I did run it on the whole image, on the RGB data prior to combining with Lum.  

6 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Cheers Rodd. I’ll run HLVG on the galaxy.  I did run it on the whole image, on the RGB data prior to combining with Lum.  

Could be my screen too.  I wouldn't worry too much!

A very nice M106 Adam..  if you have Photoshop (or similar layers App) a fix for the blue stars would be to make a copy layer over the original,  reduce the saturation to taste for blue and cyan in the bottom layer then erase the blue stars in the top layer.. 

Dave

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

A very nice M106 Adam..  if you have Photoshop (or similar layers App) a fix for the blue stars would be to make a copy layer over the original,  reduce the saturation to taste for blue and cyan in the bottom layer then erase the blue stars in the top layer.. 

Dave

Thanks Dave. Kinda did it the other way wound using a layer mask. I haven’t got onto using the eraser, but I gather it’s more logical! Can it be feathered the same way as you can do to a mask after you have used the brush tool?

12 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Dave. Kinda did it the other way wound using a layer mask. I haven’t got onto using the eraser, but I gather it’s more logical! Can it be feathered the same way as you can do to a mask after you have used the brush tool?

With the Eraser you set a Size and Hardness...  it has numerous brushes and things but as stars are round (and mainly because I know no better) I just use a circle..  the other thing you can do if you have RGB filters in the main scope is do a quick set of RGB for the stars and replace them,  it only needs an hour in total

• Like 1

I havent submitted anything to Astrobin for a long time, and I did put some images on yesterday, and to my surprise @AdamJ has just informed me that both his and mine are  'top picks'.  I dont follow Astrobin, so this may not mean anything, but it's still nice to share the images, and that other folks are looking at this stuff from all over the globe.

https://www.astrobin.com/explore/top-picks/

• Like 2

This really has come good. Great stuff. I have two thoughts on the image. 1) the core (but very selectively) will certainly take more sharpening and show more structural detail. 2) A deep Ha layer would bring all-new features into play, far more so than on most galaxies. It wouldn't just bring in a string of rubies in the arms, it would find a fascinating little jet at right angles to the disk. If you really went for it you might find even more Ha structures but those are seriously exotic. Check out R Jay GaBany's M106 for inspiration!

Olly

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

This really has come good. Great stuff. I have two thoughts on the image. 1) the core (but very selectively) will certainly take more sharpening and show more structural detail. 2) A deep Ha layer would bring all-new features into play, far more so than on most galaxies. It wouldn't just bring in a string of rubies in the arms, it would find a fascinating little jet at right angles to the disk. If you really went for it you might find even more Ha structures but those are seriously exotic. Check out R Jay GaBany's M106 for inspiration!

Olly

Thanks very much Olly for the input.

First - I will try that, possibly using the High Pass filter?  or is there another preferred method?

Second - I had collected some Ha, as I had read about the jet, but the data was rubbish so I didnt use it.  Now I regret spending three nights since then on NGC7000 instead of getting Ha on M106.

Ha-jet.thumb.jpg.193d941944e77f7bb349f45a2cf03d91.jpg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

Hi John, I've been catching up on recently posted DSO images, so it's been great to read this thread on how you developed this image with each iteration. The V2+HLVG (final) is a superb result, well done.

The YouTube PS processing link shared by @Revs was also a great watch, though I'm not sure how much of the used functionality I have with my old CS2 version. I'm sure that I don't have camera RAW (I think that came in with PS CC), but I do have Noel's astronomy tools plugin, though never thought about using those on selected channels, so definitely food for thought there.

• Like 2