Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best EP for the Leo Trio

Os it the dobsonian or on an EQ mount?

I have the 200p explorer on eq, with thay setup my 20mm eyepiece frames them pretty well with room to spare. Probably get away with down to about 15mm depending on your AFOV.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick Sargeant said:

Sorry, it's dobsonian

thanks

So you will get a bit more magnification than me for any particular eyepiece. I would start with something in the 18-24mm range and go from there 👍

Of course if you have any super wide angle lenses you could zoom in further and still keep all 3 in frame.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John said:

You want something that will show a true field of around 1.2 degrees. So a 20mm or 24mm SWA type eyepiece would do the job. Or a 30/32mm plossl.

Yes my error, I was using my 32mm not my 20mm. Good job I record details 😁

20200422_120832.jpg

Edited by miguel87
  • Like 2

Thanks for this everyone.

being a novice I only have the following EP's

super 25 wide angle (came with telescope)

super 10 ( came with telescope)

celestron x-cel lax 8

starguider ED 18mm

so hoping then that the 25 and 18 should bu useful?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Strange said:

Yes, the 25 and 18 will do the trick. 

Yep you should just squeeze them all in the BST starguider. This only shows two because it has to be centred on one. The third is above.

Screenshot_20200423-195707_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nick Sargeant said:

Wow,

bring on the darkness

Yeah. Pity I won't be able to get it. I am in a Bortle 7/8 transition zone. :( No joy for me until the QT ends and I can get to dark skies...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nick Sargeant said:

Just had to educate myself on Bortle.. Another lesson learned..thanks Dr Strange

It's a good tool to use, when I first found out I was bortle 4 I though ok, that's pointless info!

But it's good for planning trips, if I see some accomodation or a campsite that sells itself as having dark skies I just find it on the light pollution map and can compare, if it's also 4 probably not worth the trip. If its 3 or better 2 I'm in!

Dont think I have ever been in a bortle 1. Unless camping in the Grand Canyon perhaps. Wasnt too into astronomy then tho.

• Like 1

Well I hope your skies in Cornwall are clearer than mine here in Somerset !

I can see stars but there is quite a lot of thin hazy cloud about which does not help with galaxies one bit. I've just about managed to spot M66 and M65 with my 100mm refractor but I suspect NGC 3628 is beyond the reach of my scope under the conditions here tonight.

I'll go back to observing double stars !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick Sargeant said:

Just had to educate myself on Bortle.. Another lesson learned..thanks Dr Strange

Cheers. Another great resource for planning things out is www.tonightssky.com I use this site to plan out observing sessions. I use a .csv export then open it in Excel. After that I cut out all columns except for Cat 1, Cat 2, Type, Magnitude, Constellation and Common Name so that it fits on one page instead of dribbling small bits of information over multiple pages. It does list RA and DEC which can be nice for manual users who use EQ mounts or for alt/az people who have a way to translate EQ information into Alt/Az. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, John said:

Well I hope your skies in Cornwall are clearer than mine here in Somerset !

I can see stars but there is quite a lot of thin hazy cloud about which does not help with galaxies one bit. I've just about managed to spot M66 and M65 with my 100mm refractor but I suspect NGC 3628 is beyond the reach of my scope under the conditions here tonight.

I'll go back to observing double stars !

It was a struggle to find them, but did eventually.  Observed for about an hour.. All 3 kept blurring out then would reappear again for a short while! Still very faint though..I guess that was due to the hazy cloud you referred to maybe?

Was pleased to have found them though...my best view tonight was using the 25mm.. 

Thanks for everyone's advice..much appreciated.

back to 'Turn left at Orion' now to select my next target for tomorrow night hopefully.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nick Sargeant said:

my best view tonight was using the 25mm.. 

These are actually good eyepieces, mine shows the Horse Head readily under dark skies. As for the 10mm MA...these are not so good, thats the bad news, the good news is that there are many reasonably priced ones out there. Having a few high transmission eyepieces is well worth the while and in your f6 scope a 12.5mm ortho fits the bill, narrow field and all. It has about 10mm eye relief.

As a point of reference for you plossls have about .7 x focal length ER and orthos .8x focal length.

Great observing btw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Clay said:

Managed to find 2 of the 3 with my 120 and 33mm ep. Skys were clear. 

I don't feel too bad about finding just 2 under hazy skies with my 100mm now !

The Cats Eye nebula in Draco was an easier deep sky target last night - had a nice view of that at high power. It's surface brightness is somewhat higher than most galaxies though.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jetstream said:

Having a few high transmission eyepieces is well worth the while

15 hours ago, Nick Sargeant said:

Was pleased to have found them though.

Last night the Heritage 130 performed very well on the Leo triplet. They were first found in the VG 24mm ES 68 and then fine tuned in a Circle T 12.5mm ortho. 2 very bright and the third an easy catch in direct vision. I sure like this ortho that cost me 50 bucks.

This same set up caught a dozen or so galaxies in Virgo during a brief panning session.

@Nick Sargeant your 200mm dob is a super instrument and will show a boggling amount of DSO under dark skies.

• Like 1