NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New obs PC - what software?

Helen

19 minutes ago, RayD said:

I have to be honest, as a big SG Pro fan, I like it enough to consider a change so far.  I'm going to use it fully for the trial period as I think it is a viable alternative to it, unlike everything else I've tried so far.

This is exactly where I am Ray - my CCD Commander system went through a 'flaky period' which I have currently come out of very convincingly but I am thinking that a fresh approach with the vast majority of the functions built into a single program could be the future for me.

I'm currently using Prism as it effectively does everything in one package (no third party software, except perhaps some types of plate solving).

I think it depends on how you want to control things.  On a night by night basis NINA looks excellent, although does need a full version of Windows installed (so watch any mini-PCs with a lighter version of Windows installed). 

NINA doesn't seem to quite yet have all the automation stuff integrated into it (last time I looked) for a full observatory but that may or may not be needed depending on the setup.

Hallelujah

You have discovered Voyager. I have been running my ROR observatory with it for almost a year. Leo the author has been improving it all the time. His support is second to none. Email direct to Leo usally get a quick response.

I am tempted to buy a second Esprit 100 and upgrade to the new Voyager Array System for complete operation of a duel scope rig.

I think the Voyager works with a 1 hour limitation. Which is great to get everything setup and working as you want. You can then when the weather is cooperating activate your 45 day trial. At least that's how it did to work. Leo has his own ideas of how the software is developing and really sticks to his guns. Things that your favourite software has may not be Leo`s way but usually Voyager has something better.

You have discovered the web dashboard. I just car`nt believe how good it is. Planning shots and mosaics is so easy using the Virtual Field of View and Roboclip.

The only problem with Dragscipt is the name Script. It can put fear into users but it is not scripting at all. Its all Drag and drop and is very powerful. There are sample scripts included in the Voyager download and on the Wiki. Easy when you get your head round it.

There are a few Voyagers on here. Hopefully we can answer questions you have and help with the learning curve.

Graham

PS Steve, Have you looked in the setup form (spanner and Screwdriver icon) Dome. Lots of Dome setup stuff in there. If it has a Ascom driver then Voyager should be able to run it.

Edited by Fellside
spealling

59 minutes ago, Fellside said:

PS Steve, Have you looked in the setup form (spanner and Screwdriver icon) Dome. Lots of Dome setup stuff in there. If it has a Ascom driver then Voyager should be able to run it.

Thanks, Graham, yes, Voyager is running the dome perfectly and sync. with the mount is spot on  - it is only in Web Dashboard that I am unable to monitor it.

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

Hallelujah

You have discovered Voyager. I have been running my ROR observatory with it for almost a year. Leo the author has been improving it all the time. His support is second to none. Email direct to Leo usally get a quick response.

I am tempted to buy a second Esprit 100 and upgrade to the new Voyager Array System for complete operation of a duel scope rig.

I think the Voyager works with a 1 hour limitation. Which is great to get everything setup and working as you want. You can then when the weather is cooperating activate your 45 day trial. At least that's how it did to work. Leo has his own ideas of how the software is developing and really sticks to his guns. Things that your favourite software has may not be Leo`s way but usually Voyager has something better.

You have discovered the web dashboard. I just car`nt believe how good it is. Planning shots and mosaics is so easy using the Virtual Field of View and Roboclip.

The only problem with Dragscipt is the name Script. It can put fear into users but it is not scripting at all. Its all Drag and drop and is very powerful. There are sample scripts included in the Voyager download and on the Wiki. Easy when you get your head round it.

There are a few Voyagers on here. Hopefully we can answer questions you have and help with the learning curve.

Graham

Thanks for the information, It does seem very good.  I've been using it all evening just trying all the bits and bobs. 

I have emailed them to ask about the dome (ROR in my case) control on the web dashboard.  As Steve notes, it isn't on there and I tend to open my roof manually (electrically and remote, but before I want to image), and this would be handy to be on the dashboard.  It's all set up and running on the app, but is absent on the dashboard (as is my flip flat).

I'm really enjoying using it, it's quite refreshingly different and good.  I've tried pretty well all the other ones available and, for varying reasons, this for me is the only one which I can honestly say has the potential to give SG Pro a good run for its money.

Edited by RayD

Well, true to your word, Leo was extremely quick emailing back......impressed!!

He confirmed the dome and flat panel are not supported on the dashboard but we can use the dragscript to run whatever we want to do (open/close etc) but you can't actually monitor its status.

9 hours ago, RayD said:

He confirmed the dome and flat panel are not supported on the dashboard but we can use the dragscript to run whatever we want to do (open/close etc) but you can't actually monitor its status.

That's good, nothing 'wrong' as such then.

9 hours ago, RayD said:

I'm really enjoying using it, it's quite refreshingly different and good.  I've tried pretty well all the other ones available and, for varying reasons, this for me is the only one which I can honestly say has the potential to give SG Pro a good run for its money.

Same here although in my case I preferred CCD Commander to SG Pro BUT the additional functionality of Voyager, its abundant feedback displays, comprehensive error trapping and enthusiastic drive of its author are proving very compelling!

10 hours ago, Fellside said:

Thank you Graham, there may well be questions as I am not entirely sure yet whether settings in the script or those within a sequence take precedence! The testing continues!Actually I do have a quick question:-

Can I leave all my guide settings set up but NOT use guiding for a test session (that way I can test some more stuff during the day when there actually aren't any stars to guide on!)

45 minutes ago, Helen said:

No problem Steve, interesting stuff!  (I've had too much on to spend any time on this recently 😞 )

It is indeed interesting stuff but I do know what a busy girl you are! I am fortunate in having some free time to get into the Voyager software and very impressed I am too.

I did manage to get out for a litle while last night (too many deadlines earlier in the week 🥺).  It wasn't the most productive night... 

I think some of my settings aren't quite right in the new updated version of the sitech software.  The Park command did odd things, its not loading previous models, and the guiding was awful - really sawtooth!  (although I think my mount balance may be off).  The Skyview sections look to have potential though, particularly the ability to search for visible comets and then automatically track at the rate appropriate for each BUT I'm getting an error when trying to download the latest comet files 😞

So a few things to make progress:

- go all the way through Steve's Mesu set-up guide

- serach for answers to comet file issue (unless anyone here has an answer!)

- strip down the mount, remove everything, clean, and redo all the cabling etc

- get the autofocus motor set up on the FLT98

- give Voyager a go!

That should keep me out of mischief until the dark nights return....

Helen

Helen,

Comets

Have you got access to https://groups.io/g/Sitechservo

I did a search and found this thread its fairly recent. There are a few threads relating to comets. It mentions database files that have moved.

https://groups.io/g/Sitechservo/topic/72776012#31326

Mesu

"strip down the mount, remove everything, clean, and redo all the cabling etc" Why? I think if you have a problem. First thing to do is contact Mr Mesu.

Graham

Thanks Graham 👍. For clarification, don't worry, I phrased that badly.... I'm not going to strip the actual mount 😳😳 but rather take the scopes off, clean those, clean the mount exteriors (remove insect debris), and then put everything back on with careful balancing 😁

Helen