Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Globular cluster eyepiece recommendation

nitram100

Hi guys,

So I had a really nice session last night with my scope for the first time in a while, spent ages with globs using my 10" f4.8 and a 14mm 82 degree ES eyepiece.

I used my orion shorty apo barlow with the 14mm 82 degree eyepiece and the view was really nice.

My question is, with the 14mm barlowed, does it then give me 7mm 82 degree ? Would there be any benefit to me buying this 6.7mm eyepiece from here?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-eyepieces/explore-scientific-82-degree-series-eyepieces.html

Thanks!

32 minutes ago, nitram100 said:

Hi guys,

So I had a really nice session last night with my scope for the first time in a while, spent ages with globs using my 10" f4.8 and a 14mm 82 degree ES eyepiece.

I used my orion shorty apo barlow with the 14mm 82 degree eyepiece and the view was really nice.

My question is, with the 14mm barlowed, does it then give me 7mm 82 degree ? Would there be any benefit to me buying this 6.7mm eyepiece from here?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-eyepieces/explore-scientific-82-degree-series-eyepieces.html

Thanks!

I see no benefit to the 6.7mm if the barlowed 14mm is working.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nitram100 said:

Thanks mate, was just curious as to whether the barlowed 14mm down to 7mm was retaining the 82 degree. Thanks!

You would still get the 82 degree field, or at least most of it. Some barlow lenses do reduce the apparent field of view though depending on the barlow and eyepiece specs. You can generally see if this is happening because the edges of the field of view become fuzzy rather then sharp.

Telextenders / Powermates / Focal Extenders don't tend to reduce the apparent field.

My favourite globular cluster eyepiece with my 12 inch dob is the 8mm Ethos :smiley:

1 minute ago, Louis D said:

I always like how my 5.2mm Pentax XL resolves globulars into sparkly diamond dust.

+1 for the Pentax XW5 or XL5.2, both very sharp eps with great contrast..

These days I get an equivalent view from my Carton Japan 10.5mm 65 degree with a Baader Zoom Barlow (2.25x), giving 4.66mm effective focal length (223x). Black background out of which lots of faint 11-12th mag stars pop out😊

Dave

• Like 2

On 23/04/2020 at 12:43, John said:

My favourite globular cluster eyepiece with my 12 inch dob is the 8mm Ethos :smiley:

My overall favourite for the big bright globs in my TEC 140 is not dissimilar- it’s the 8mm Delos. Not to say I wouldn’t pop in some much shorter fls to try and dig in a bit more. Those globs are also stunning in the C11 with binoviewer as are many of the brighter more extensive DSOs. 

• Like 2