NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lancashire

There are a few Lancashire based observers on SGL, so you're definitely not alone. And there's one or two who sneak over the border from the mystic east, just to observe under our skies, - well, one at least! And if he denies it I'll post a pic as evidence.

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

There are a few Lancashire based observers on SGL, so you're definitely not alone. And there's one or two who sneak over the border from the mystic east, just to observe under our skies, - well, one at least! And if he denies it I'll post a pic as evidence.

Mike.  You've clearly not read my contribution to DaveL59's posti regarding contacting aliens 😊.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There's also The Astronomy Centre, which although being in Yorkshire, is only millimetres over the border between Bacup & Todmorden. There you can use dozens of different telescopes of all major designs, and chat at length with other observers. Just Google Astronomy Centre or chat to Peter Drew on SGL if you're interested.

I'm not certain if East Lanc's Astronomical Society is still in operation? They used to meet at Stoneyhurst College Observatory, which used to house a fabulous 7 1/3" Clark refractor used by Dawes. Foolishly they sold it in favour of a 15" refractor which in my view just isnt as good optically. May be someone could shed light on whether ELAS is still running? 

4 hours ago, paulastro said:

Mike.  You've clearly not read my contribution to DaveL59's posti regarding contacting aliens 😊.

Ok, here here's the cheeky chap enjoying himself on a day trip to Burnley, - despite the Aliens!

1856498903_2020-04-1914_07_16.jpg.68a98b3c4aca26f808b549babac14b42.jpg

3 hours ago, Beardy30 said:

How do I join

Hi James, when meetings restart just come along and see if it's for you.  We have regular monthly meetings, usually with a talk, and hold public outreach events at the Jeremiah Horrocks Observatory in Moor Park. There are some details on our website at www.padas.org.uk. We also have a Facebook page,  just search for padas.

HTH, Andy

• Like 1

Can I be your Foreign Correspondant???   🤣

Born in Wigan, lived in Southport, Parbold, Horwich, Chorley and Garstang. Went to school in Bolton, worked in Preston.

Came to France in search of clear skies...

Olly

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Can I be your Foreign Correspondant???   🤣

Born in Wigan, lived in Southport, Parbold, Horwich, Chorley and Garstang. Went to school in Bolton, worked in Preston.

Came to France in search of clear skies...

Olly

well you will be familiar with some of the locations from my history - born in Billinge Maternity Hospital (which although now demolished, was originally in Lancashire), raised in Standish (the posh end of Wigan when is was still in Lancashire 😜), then Swansea for 3 years, back to the NW and lived in Bolton for a short while, before making Preston my home in 1990.

You would be very welcome as our French Connection😀 but not too much bragging of your clear skies, if you don't mind😆

Cheers, Andy

6 hours ago, fireballxl5 said:

well you will be familiar with some of the locations from my history - born in Billinge Maternity Hospital (which although now demolished, was originally in Lancashire), raised in Standish (the posh end of Wigan when is was still in Lancashire 😜), then Swansea for 3 years, back to the NW and lived in Bolton for a short while, before making Preston my home in 1990.

You would be very welcome as our French Connection😀 but not too much bragging of your clear skies, if you don't mind😆

Cheers, Andy

We share a birthplace, Andy! I, too, was born in Billinge Maternity Hospital, Feb 12th 1953. Small world.

Olly