Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Goodbye Orion

It wont be long now till Orion is again lost in the glare of the summer Sun,not to return until late August. This Image was taken at around 22:00 BST.  Betelgeuse has almost returned to its former glory in fact I spotted it while walking the dog while the sky was still quite bright. Its now noticably brighter than both Pollux and Aldebaran,but fainter than Procyon. I estimate it to be magnitude 0.6 , which is within about half a magnitude of its historic maximum brightness.

The image was taken with a Canon 1100D fitted with a old M42 Chinon 28fl wide angle lens. Exposure was 5 seconds at  800ISO 

GbyOrion180420.JPG

• Like 5

Whilst I've had time to get the occasional update on Betelgeuse's behaviour over the last few months, I was disappointed to realise a few nights back that Orion's toes were dipping below the horizon by astro dark and I've really had very little opportunity to see him this winter.  In fact I've probably seen more of Leo in the last three weeks then I have of Orion this entire season :(

James

• Like 2

for me he's behind the oak tree to the south before I get a chance to get a look and then when he reappears the other side I can only view the belt upwards with binos as the shed and trees in the distance make a scope of limited use at that point. Ho Hum, he'll be back...

I once saw Scorpius out of season(the bit I can see) before dawn in late February with ice and crunchy snow underfoot. Ive also observed Orion completly above the horizon in late August (but being in Scotland it felt cold then too)! 

I have to admit I enjoy seeing Orion, it was one if not the constellation that like with that moment in the movie Stargate where I looked up and realized what I was seeing.

I like the notion "The Great Hunter", only being injured by a scorpion, which is my birth month zodiac.