NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which is better ?

Nothing in it really. OTAs are identical but there  are small differences in the mounts but performance is about the same. Both made by Synta.

Discussed in this thread. 

Edited by johninderby

14 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

Which is the better scope the Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO or The  Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT Telescope

The telescopes are identical (both made by Synta), the Celestron SLT mount might be slightly better with its Skyalign star alignment.g

They look to be identical mounts sourced from the same Chinese manufacturer Synta.  The only question I would ask would be can you declutch the axes, move the scope manually, and reclutch the axes without losing alignment?  Some of these mounts require you to use the motors to move the scope to maintain alignment.  Since I don't see any way to declutch the axes, I'm going to guess no.

The two mounts use different motors and internal components so are quite different inside. However they are equivelent performance wise.

Some feel the Nexstar hand control is better than the Synscan but both will work well.

15 minutes ago, Louis D said:

They look to be identical mounts sourced from the same Chinese manufacturer Synta.  The only question I would ask would be can you declutch the axes, move the scope manually, and reclutch the axes without losing alignment?  Some of these mounts require you to use the motors to move the scope to maintain alignment.  Since I don't see any way to declutch the axes, I'm going to guess no.

The mounts look to be identical but aren't. Similar in appearance but totally different elsewhere.

19 minutes ago, Louis D said:

The only question I would ask would be can you declutch the axes, move the scope manually, and reclutch the axes without losing alignment? 

The Skywatcher Star Discovery mount (different mount) does allow this as does the SW AZ GTI.

15 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The mounts look to be identical but aren't. Similar in appearance but totally different elsewhere.

The Skywatcher Star Discovery mount (different mount) does allow this as does the SW AZ GTI.

Thanks, I couldn't find them.  I would recommend to the OP either the Skymax 127 AZ-GTi or the Skywatcher Star Discovery Pro 127 Wifi Maksutov Telescope due to that feature.

I have the Celestron 127 SLT and just from pictures of the SynScan AZ Goto mount they look identical. Can't comment on the SW scope but the Celestron scope is quite nice. I wrote this just today:

The way links to other threads works is confusing, click on my name alongside the caravan picture to see my words.

Anyway, it's a great little scope and I feel upgrade-able as you progress. Last night I was using my big NEQ6Pro mount with the 127, a bit overmounted on that if such a thing is possible because to be honest, I'm not a fan of the SLT mount and assume the SW version works the same. 

I got the setup secondhand. I bought it from a friend after recommending it to his wife as a good birthday present as shed asked me to recommend something. He just couldn't make sense of the mount even after I walked him through the set up a few times. Just too fiddly for a novice in my opinion. I can get my big mount set up and aligned just as quickly.

So, great scope but I wouldn't recommend the mount again. You'd probably get more pleasure with a simple, undriven alt-az mount. If you like what the scope does you can upgrade to a good EQ mount with GoTo. 

Thanks Paul that’s really helpful

just one question ..Please can I ask why the Celestron 127SLT is £100 more than the skywatcher Skymax 127 goto - it’s the same scope ? Is the Celestron that much better (I know there control is easier to use) but it’s It it worth the extra £100 ?? 

16 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

Thanks Paul that’s really helpful

just one question ..Please can I ask why the Celestron 127SLT is £100 more than the skywatcher Skymax 127 goto - it’s the same scope ? Is the Celestron that much better (I know there control is easier to use) but it’s It it worth the extra £100 ?? 

I can't help with that I'm afraid.