NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CPWI v 2.3.4 and gamepad

NenoVento

Hi All,

Yesterday I installed the latest version of CPWI (Celestron's telescope control software)  and, from the many improvements they added, the one I liked the most was that now you can use an xbox gamepad for both, moving the scope and the focuser.

Excellet job!,

NV

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-07 at 17.52.24.jpeg

Edited by NenoVento
to add a picture
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've also tried out CPWI on my AVX and it looks promising. ASCOM and phd2 seem to work in simulation mode. 

As i know pretty much nothing about games consoles or their controllers, would any wireless Xbox controller do?

Thanks

2 hours ago, 8472 said:

Hi,

I've also tried out CPWI on my AVX and it looks promising. ASCOM and phd2 seem to work in simulation mode. 

As i know pretty much nothing about games consoles or their controllers, would any wireless Xbox controller do?

Thanks

I have read of some challenges with third party (non Microsoft) controllers - they are not always detected. I don't know if that problem has been fixed, but I played safe and bought a Microsoft wireless xbox controller for £50 - I've been using the beta version of CPWI for a while and it makes it so much easier to control the telescope. I can slew while looking through the eyepiece, and I can control my focus motor from the controller as well.

Controllers are available in all sorts of colour schemes-  I bought a white one so it was easier to find in the dark! Wireless is provided by bluetooth, but it will also work with a standard USB cable if you  don't have bluetooth on you laptop.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've spent the past 3 hours trying to get an Xbox one Wireless Bluetooth  Controller recognised with CPWI on my Astro ThinkPad which runs Windows 7, but to no avail. 

Eventually got it working with my other Win 10 laptop, but I really don't like using it in the field as it drains my leisure battery too quickly. 

As I was successful with an old Bluetooth keyboard, I wonder if the following controller is a viable alternative?

Wireless Bluetooth Remote Controller for Gamepad, Selfie Camera Shutter Wireless Mouse Gamepad 3D VR Glasses Remote Control for Iphone Android PC TV Box (Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MHZRDV9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_S.yUEb79RK5N4

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit that the CPWI software was very nice when i first looked at it. The thought of laptop control was great as it effectively meant a no touch when used with the Celestron focuser. I had initially become frustrated trying to hold a laptop, slew for alignment, centre and finish the process while trying to look through the eyepiece, put glasses on to look at the computer screen and all in the dark. THEN through the lounge the option of XBOX controller was revealed. Such a difference. So pleased.

Just a small question. Has anyone noticed that the programme takes it’s time to load? On my new laptop (Windows 10). It can take up to 2 to 3 minutes. Touching the keys during this time can make the programme show “not responding” and the laptop has to be closed and rebooted. Any suggestions on this issue?

Very new to these areas. Can I presume that 2.3.5 beta will be for general released at some stage as I see that one has to register with Team Celestron. I don’t think that I would be up to speed as most of this technology talk goes right over my head.

I think paraphrasing Forrest Gump  “simple is as simple does” would express my newbie level of experience/ability.