Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon Lens's

23 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Looking at the first image made by the OP the picture of the kit lens clearly shows it is II which to me is the second edition and that has image stabilisation, 

Afraid not.  The image stabilised lenses have the letters IS in the designation on the ring:

967456422_ISlens.jpg.cc9d94a97cf214b9369bec1dc1d6908f.jpg

Still worth trying some widefield shots, but the continuously rotating focus ring (there are no stops and no markings) makes focus an absolute nightmare even when using  tablet or laptop screen at 10x zoom. 

Kudos to those who manage to get images (and some definitely do) but I've never succeeded in getting sharp stars.

• Like 1

On 09/04/2020 at 20:39, maw lod qan said:

Welcome to the forum.

What Canon are you using. I have a SL1 and use the 18mm 55mm. Without a tracking mount you will be limited on what you can image, but that doesn't mean you still cant have lots of fun.

I've used mine a lot doing widefield for meteors with an interval timer to shoot  images all night.

I also use mine with an 8" reflector telescope.

Mine is a VERY old 400d. So came with the older style lens... I am upgrading this to a 2000d in the next month or so.

Cheers

toby

On 09/04/2020 at 20:53, almcl said:

Afraid not.  The image stabilised lenses have the letters IS in the designation on the ring:

967456422_ISlens.jpg.cc9d94a97cf214b9369bec1dc1d6908f.jpg

Still worth trying some widefield shots, but the continuously rotating focus ring (there are no stops and no markings) makes focus an absolute nightmare even when using  tablet or laptop screen at 10x zoom. 

Kudos to those who manage to get images (and some definitely do) but I've never succeeded in getting sharp stars.

My lens is the older version. Is isnt the stabilised version.

Cheers

Toby

1 hour ago, TobyW said:

My lens is the older version. Is isnt the stabilised version.

Cheers

Toby

Interestingly though read somewhere (maybe on here) that the IS function on lenses can cause issues if using a star adventurer, as the lens could try to auto correct the movement of the tracker ;) 

If you're mounting a lens with IS that doesn't have tripod detect features, then the IS will activate on long exposusres. The effect is, you'll hear what sounds like a quiet grinding sound, and you'll see small movements across the image as the IS operates. I do not know which lenses support tripod mounting, but anytime I stick a lens with IS on a tripod or fixed mounting, I turn off the IS. I leave it on for everything else.