Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice - Dual, tri, quad band NB filters

edjrgibbs

Hi

Looking for some advice. I'm considering buy one of the following:

- Altair triband filter

- Altair quadband filter

- Optolong L-eNhance dual band filter

What are the pro's and con's of each and how good are they at filtering out moonglow? I'd be using it with a QHY163c OSC camera.

Thanks

I keep looking at the Optolong filter and have been advised by FLO this is probably the best one of its type. I tend to be a believer in the more things something is asked to do the less well it can do them, these Tri and Quad filter for me are asking a lot, not that I know the first thing about them I would not go beyond the Optolong unless I saw some strong evidence of them working.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there.

I've used both the Altair Tri-Band and the Optolong L-eNhance filter and have reviews on my channel.

Altair: 

Optolong:

In my time with both filters I have to say I preferred the Optolong. As MarkAR pointed out - I did have an issue with halos with the Altair filter. But I didn't notice any halos with the Optolong. 

As for Moon filtration they're both flawed. The O-III bandpass isn't great at resisting Moon glow. You can see more in the videos.

Hope that helps :)

• Like 3