NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where do you purchase from?

Just been scanning the web over a coffee break and found that you can purchase most things astroscope related so much cheaper in the US.

Pretty much $ for £ compared to what you can get over here in the UK.

Even when you add VAT to their price, its considerably cheaper. You can get a 10''scope in the US for the price of a 8'' in the UK. With these huge savings, you could get stung on postage and still be quids in.

More hassle to arrange, longer nervous transit time for your goodies and perhaps after sales niggles due to time delays but is there any reason not to purchase from over the pond and has anyone done it?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have bought astro kit from here and the USA.

I haven't bought new kit from the USA its been used

but it was in great condition.

You have to watch though cos its not just VAT that you get

stung with you also have to pay import tax / VAT / postage /

insurance and a couple of other taxes/charges that i have probably

forgotten.

Not trying to put you off or anything cos you can get a deal if you

play your cards right but you have to be careful.

You have to watch though cos its not just VAT that you get

stung with you also have to pay import tax / VAT / postage /

insurance and a couple of other taxes/charges that i have probably

forgotten.

Not trying to put you off or anything cos you can get a deal if you

play your cards right but you have to be careful.

Opps, I should have known about the import duty. Should have known about that after I looked into buying GPS units from the US. :oops:

Just to confirm what Jamie said, there's a few other bits you will get stung with. But there's still some great savings to be had. I bought my Intes from the States and saved approx £200. But like Jamie i've only bought secondhand. Not sure the savings are so great for new bits.

You'll certainly get hit for VAT @ 17.5%, import duty @ 4%, Parcelforce handling charge, delivery costs. The VAT and import duty are worked out on the total cost of the item and delivery.

Here's an example that I worked out for myself:

William Optics Zenithstar Flourite 80.

Price in the UK = £649

Price in the USA = $799

Price in £ after exchange rate = £457

Delivery = $80

Import duty & VAT = $799 + $80 + 21.5% = $1068

After exchange rate = £610

Price after Parcelforce handling charge = £610 + £18 = £628

Total saving = £649 - £628 = £21

I didn't bother, not worth the hassle.

Regards

Russ

Mmm, still £150 saved for me.

Thats not too bad really.

What scope has caught your eye?

If it's a Meade or Celestron you have eyed up, it would probably be best to give up now. You'll have more chance of shipping a nuclear missile out of the States than a Meade/Celestron. Meade and Celestron are very strict on grey imports or personal imports and the US retailers would dare not break this rule. They would lose their franchise in a second. I think the same may apply to TeleVue products.

Regards

Russ

Mmm, still £150 saved for me.

Thats not too bad really.

What scope has caught your eye?

If it's a Meade or Celestron you have eyed up, it would probably be best to give up now. You'll have more chance of shipping a nuclear missile out of the States than a Meade/Celestron. Meade and Celestron are very strict on grey imports or personal imports and the US retailers would dare not break this rule. They would lose their franchise in a second. I think the same may apply to TeleVue products.

Regards

Russ

OH poo!!

Tis a meade. Thats just :lol: on my fireworks :insects1:

...don't give up so easily...... :lol:

I am not a quitter.

Apart from anything else, I also have friends in New England and if I remember correctly, they didn't get me a birthday present. A retrospective gift would be nice :)

Nice to hear Andy!! :lol:

The "gift scam" doesn't work so well anymore, they've shut that hole!! :) The best bet is to get it sent to a business address (where you work etc) and get the seller to mark the box up a "sample", the tax guys hate to get in the way of trade!!

The "gift scam" doesn't work so well anymore, they've shut that hole!! :) The best bet is to get it sent to a business address (where you work etc) and get the seller to mark the box up a "sample", the tax guys hate to get in the way of trade!!

DOH!

I purchase expensive kit for other hobbies I have.

Channel islands as well as the US.

You are correct in saying that gifts dont work..all the time.

If I get it shipped within the US to my friends and then on to me...all in nice birthday wrapping paper, there is a greater chance it could work. May have to look into duty on gifts.

Sample is often used but customs are not daft. They know values of things and a £1000 sample is something they must see quite a lot. However, there may be some mileage in it.

Pre-production samples is what I used when in my last employment when I shipped to and fro between the UK and Poland (prior to the EU). Worked every time.

I don't think the wrapping paper will cut it (however "nice" :lol:), I'm pretty sure they've change the rules on gifts, over a certain value you'll get clobbered.

With the reduction of flight prices now, it almost pays for me to fly there and pick it up :)

But then all you would have is my vapour trail and pollution in the clearish UK skies :?

The "gift scam" doesn't work so well anymore, they've shut that hole!! The best bet is to get it sent to a business address (where you work etc) and get the seller to mark the box up a "sample", the tax guys hate to get in the way of trade!!

hmm i'm saying no more...this all sounds a bit Dell Trotter.

The "gift scam" doesn't work so well anymore, they've shut that hole!! The best bet is to get it sent to a business address (where you work etc) and get the seller to mark the box up a "sample", the tax guys hate to get in the way of trade!!

hmm i'm saying no more...this all sounds a bit Dell Trotter.

Lubly jubly

As I recall gifts have not been a free ticket into the country for quite some time I have bought from the States a few times maybe 10 think I have slipped through more times than I have been hit for all the duty and stuff had stuff come through ok from Oz too but its all down to luck nothing else I even had stuff opened by Customs and it stamped saying so but no further action taken that also tells a tale I guess

As I recall gifts have not been a free ticket into the country for quite some time I have bought from the States a few times maybe 10 think I have slipped through more times than I have been hit for all the duty and stuff had stuff come through ok from Oz too but its all down to luck nothing else I even had stuff opened by Customs and it stamped saying so but no further action taken that also tells a tale I guess

Customs is hit and miss. They cannot check everything. But the one they check will be your most expensive import :lol:

Archived