NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skylight 4" F15 mount

Dave1

Hi guys,

I'm after a mount for my Skylight F15 refractor. Now I like AZ mounts. But I also see the advantage of eq mounts. I'm looking for a mount that will allow high magnification.

Mounts I have thought about are AZ EQ5 GT, AZ EQ 6 GT, Fullerscope MKIII or MKIV, APM AzMaxLoad, APM Alt-Az XL fork mount.

I'm not to bothered about goto although I admit it's nice, tracking would be nice. 

I believe the APM Alt-Az XL fork mount is rated to 19.2 kg.

Having said that I've been offered a Unitron 152 equatorial mount. The mount Unitron bundled with there 4" F15 refractor, My Skylight 4"F15 is much heavier than the Unitron 152 though.

Thoughts people? I'm open to other suggestions. Mounts from any point in history qualify aswell.

David

The AZ100 with Nexus DSC push to would seem to fit the bill as John says above.

It's what I'm looking to get in the not too distant future as I think it will suit any refractor I'm ever likely to be able to afford.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave1 said:

I'm after a mount for my Skylight F15 refractor. Now I like AZ mounts. But I also see the advantage of eq mounts. I'm looking for a mount that will allow high magnification.

AZ-EQ 6GT. I use in altaz config for visual. The GOTO is wonderful. I thought I wasn't bothered by GOTO either, but it's a real time saver. And then there the tracking, which saves hassle, especially at high mag.

Here it is with a 4-inch f/8 refractor:

IMG_0037.jpg.62b82c329a7e6e24b145e7a449d8707d.jpg

• Like 2

The T-Rex would do a fine job but they are as rare as hens teeth.

I used an early EQ6 with my 6 inc F/12 but that was a bit overwhelmed by it. It would have been OK with a 4 inch F/15 I would think though.

lzostrex01.JPG

istar6f12eq6.jpg

@johninderby . Thanks is that a Skylight 4" F15 or F13? I see you have the AZ100 on a Berlebach Uni 28 tripod? Whats the highest magnification you've gone? How long is the vibration dampening/settling time? 

@JeremyS thanks, that looks an impressive set up. 

@John thanks John, astrograph.net still list the T-Rex as available, but new it is way out of my price range, and as you say secondhand they are rare. John did you try the T Rex on your Berlebach Uni 28 tripod and ditto for the EQ6? I'm trying to figure out if it is indeed my mount ( which I suspect it is ) or the tripod. I have the same tripod as you. 

My Skylight 4" with 2" Baader prism diagonal, finderscope, and dew shield fitted weights 8.2 kg. Its the momentum arm I'm concerned about. 

Edited by Dave1

3 minutes ago, Dave1 said:

@johninderby . Thanks is that a Skylight 4" F15 or F13? I see you have the AZ100 on a Berlebach Uni 28 tripod? Whats the highest magnification you've gone? How long it the vibration dampening/settling time? 

@JeremyS thanks, that looks an impressive set up. 

@John thanks John, astrograph.net still list the T-Rex as available, but new it is way out of my price range, and as you say secondhand they are rare. John did you try the T Rex on your Berlebach Uni 28 tripod and ditto for the EQ6? I'm trying to figure out if it is indeed my mount ( which I suspect it is ) or the tripod. I have the same tripod as you. 

My Skylight 4" with 2" Baader prism diagonal, finderscope, and dew shield fitted weights 8.2 kg. Its the momentum arm I'm concerned about. 

My Berlebach Uni 28 is HEQ5 so the T-Rex will not fit unless I modify it as @johninderby has with his. The 2 inch steel tripod that came with the T-Rex is pretty tall and sturdy. Despite being listed by Astrograph the T-Rex went out of production with the passing of the gentleman who designed and built it in Japan. If you add up the cost of the AZ100 it comes to something similar to the T-Rex but it is also superb (having tried a couple of the early ones) and is actually available of course.

• Like 1

Neither. It’s my home built 4” f/13 based on a Carton objective. 

Virtually no vibration at all on the AZ100. Just rock solid. The max weight they give is super conservative. Probably 400x on the moon.

With the AZ100 they have the normal axis clutches but also an extra locking clutch on the Alt axis plus an adjustable worm gear mesh to allow you to compensate for long refractors if not evenly loaded. And also the “feel” of the slo motion controls is adjustable.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

I've used to mount my 5" F/9.4 bresser on a TAL2M and it was rock steady, even at high powers. Good tracking too, with 180 teeth worm gear and synchronous motor. It should carry up to 20kgr without any problem. It is nice, vintage, simple and cheap when they do come up from time to time. The bresser is sold now but I still have the TAL mount...

P.S. This is getting a bit cliche but it really is built like a tank 💪

• Like 2

3 hours ago, R26 oldtimer said:

I've used to mount my 5" F/9.4 bresser on a TAL2M and it was rock steady, even at high powers. Good tracking too, with 180 teeth worm gear and synchronous motor. It should carry up to 20kgr without any problem. It is nice, vintage, simple and cheap when they do come up from time to time. The bresser is sold now but I still have the TAL mount...

P.S. This is getting a bit cliche but it really is built like a tank 💪

I've heard that the TAL2 eq is a very sturdy mount as well. I was on the look out for one a while back but nothing showed up. It's a classic I reckon :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1